Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Philip Fletcher <ph...@stutchbury.net> on 2004/03/23 20:07:17 UTC

engineConfigFactoryMissing (for concurrent requests only?)

I sent the message below to the axis-user list, but having done a little
digging around in the source, I think it is more appropriate on this
list...

The error is generated from line 183 of
EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder.java where it has the following comments:

log.error(Messages.getMessage("engineConfigFactoryMissing"));
 // we should be throwing an exception here,
 //
 // but again, requires more refactoring than we want to swallow
 // at this point in time.  Ifthis DOES occur, it's a coding error:
 // factory should NEVER be null.
 // Testing will find this, as NullPointerExceptions will be generated
 // elsewhere.

You're right Richard! It does generate a NullPointerException:)

I'm not sure why sometimes the factory is null and sometimes it isn't - is
it likely to arise only on heavy concurrent loads? (like my noddy test:).

I've searched the archives on both lists, but cannot find any other
mention, except where there are configuration errors.

It's the same in the latest cvs version (1.26), so, assuming this will
occur under heady loads in prod, any ideas if I can/should try to work
around this?

Philip
--
Not a native Java speaker - my first language is pl/sql, my second is
english...

===Included Message===
I have a vanilla install of Tomcat(5.0.19) and Axis(1.1) and have been
working through some of the examples to try to get an idea of performance
(vs. xmlrpc).

To test using samples/userguide/example3, I have created two testing
classes: TestThread (extends Thread:) which calls
samples.userguide.example3.Client.main( args ) from it's run method and
Test which simply starts 10 TestThread threads.

Occasionally (1 in 10) I will get a NullPointerException for the first 2-5
threads often accompanied by:
org.apache.axis.configuration.EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder$1 run
SEVERE: Unable to locate a valid EngineConfigurationFactory
java.lang.NullPointerException

Any assistance/pointers would be appreciated...

Sample output included below.

Philip

$ java Test
java.lang.NullPointerException
Mar 23, 2004 1:43:53 PM
org.apache.axis.configuration.EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder$1 run
SEVERE: Unable to locate a valid EngineConfigurationFactory
Mar 23, 2004 1:43:53 PM
org.apache.axis.configuration.EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder$1 run
SEVERE: Unable to locate a valid EngineConfigurationFactory
Mar 23, 2004 1:43:53 PM
org.apache.axis.configuration.EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder$1 run
SEVERE: Unable to locate a valid EngineConfigurationFactory
Mar 23, 2004 1:43:53 PM
org.apache.axis.configuration.EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder$1 run
SEVERE: Unable to locate a valid EngineConfigurationFactory
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
You typed : Thread-1
You typed : Thread-2
You typed : Thread-3
You typed : Thread-10
You typed : Thread-11
You typed : Thread-4

Re: engineConfigFactoryMissing (for concurrent requests only?)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Please open a bug report (http://issues.apache.org/jira) and upload your tests there as well.

thanks,
dims