Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2013/09/07 10:25:32 UTC

[DISCUSSION] next gen viewer

Breaking this out to a new thread...

~~~
Over the last few days I've (coincidentally) been having off-list
discussions with both Maurizio and Jeroen, thinking about what the next gen
viewer should be implemented and might look like.

We're all agreed, I think, that it should be a stateless RO-based viewer,
and that it should build on Spiro [1].

In other words, the next gen viewer will be an SPA app, with AngularJS
underneath, making RESTful calls to the Isis-provided backend.  The SPA app
would (as they all do) use some sort of templating framework and widget
framework for generate the GUI.  For the latter, I think that Bootstrap is
a candidate (though Jeroen didn't agree, I think).

Although (hopefully) scalable to the internet, the intent should still
primarily be for "problem solvers, not process followers", ie for those who
are familiar with the domain.

What that implies is solving the modality problem; allowing the user to
switch context and to associate different contexts.  The original DnD
viewer - whatever other faults it might have had - was very good at
supporting this, with its "desktop" (windowed) metaphor.  Adam Howard's
(currently stagnant) AROW viewer [2] also adopts a "desktop" metaphor.

At the other end of the spectrum, my Wicket viewer is very page oriented.
 This means that the user looks only at one object at a time.  The
autocomplete stuff makes it easier to associate stuff, and the bookmarks
panel helps provide some sense of context, but I'm the first to admit that
the Wicket viewer is closer to a website than an webapp.

Maurizio's DHTMLX viewer is more page oriented [3], but the use of tabs
does go a long way to mitigating this.  I probably should acknowledge that
tabs is a better metaphor for helping the user to maintain context than the
sliding bookmarks I've implemented in the Wicket viewer.

Anyway... no work on a new RO viewer is going to happen this side of Xmas,
but it might be worth arranging some sort of get together over a offsite
weekend (in Europe, somewhere) to thrash out ideas.    I'm thinking
something like Mar~May next year (depending on how well Estatio beds in
when it goes live).

Let me know your thoughts, and whether you'd be interested in meeting up to
discuss this (or any other Isis-related stuff, I suppose).

Cheers
Dan

[1] https://github.com/nakedobjectsgroup/spiro
[2] http://simple-dusk-6870.herokuapp.com/arow-fpc.html
[3] http://isis-viewer-dhtmlx.appspot.com

Re: [DISCUSSION] next gen viewer

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 9 September 2013 03:55, David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> Can I just check with you that adding bootstrap will provide a "master"
> html template for the site? This would be really useful for including e.g
> header meta info in one place (please correct me if this is already
> possible now).

I don't think that it will, David.  Nor is it possible now.

If you could code sketch what you'd like to do in a new JIRA ticket, we'll
see if we could incorporate somehow.  For example, using Wicket's Include
component [1] we ought to be able to include arbitrary blocks of HTML into
the page.  (You could even get one of your guys to provide a little patch
:-)

Cheers
Dan

[1]
http://ci.apache.org/projects/wicket/apidocs/6.x/org/apache/wicket/markup/html/include/Include.html

Re: [DISCUSSION] next gen viewer

Posted by David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz>.
Hi Oscar,

+1

Can I just check with you that adding bootstrap will provide a "master" html template for the site? This would be really useful for including e.g header meta info in one place (please correct me if this is already possible now).

Regards,

David.

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Yeah, this is very much my own thinking, too.  ie +1

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
Hi Dan,

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi David
(as an aside, could you subscribe to the dev list, so that I don't need to
approve any mails from you for that list).

Thanks for the analysis below; responses within....

On 7 September 2013 10:55, David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> In my opinion, web UI's for internal applications were a big step
> backwards for enterprises - clumsy for users and expensive to build (at
> least before ISIS came along) compared to rich clients. I guess web
> technology has advanced to a point where it has almost caught up with rich
> client technology of 15 years ago but that's hardly something to crow
> about. The argument put forward for web UI's in the enterprise was "zero
> maintenance" in terms of the desktop (all the difficulties of packaging and
> distribution of rich clients eliminated) but then rich clients caught up in
> that area (at least for Java). But then comes along smart phones and
> tablets and html5 that potentially changes the game again. Or maybe not -
> html5 turns out to not be the panacea it was touted to be and now we are
> back to the future with the horrible incompatibilities of vendors
> implementations and versions. Facebook recently publicly vented on this
> subject and have declared the end of
>  their romp with html5 and a return to native.

Yup, I'd agree with all of that.

> With ISIS able to generate many viewers, then perhaps we are looking at
> the real game changer in the enterprise being ISIS.

Ooh, please keep saying that!  (Still hoping for one of the opinion formers
of the tech community - the Martin Fowlers etc - to rediscover NO via Isis
and take a similar view).

> The DnD viewer I understood was a highly productive desktop UI for DSW? of
> Ireland.

s/was/is/

It's likely to be in production for many years to come.  But the
client/server architecture - with serialized .NET objects over web services
- leaves something to be desired; state management/synchronisation being
especially difficult.  I was very glad when we junked the remoting logic in
Isis a while back.

> Should it not live on in the form of a JFX based viewer?

It could, of course; but I guess it limits the deployment options.  If we
can achieve the same technology using web UI, then why limit the audience.

But "fat client" RO clients are possible; over in Ireland we have been
spiking a Win8 metro UI that's an RO client.

> [snip]
>
> The wicket viewer is good. However, bouncing around different objects to
> get a view of information in a "graph" can be frustrating even with the
> sliding bookmark bar when you want to go back a few steps but I guess less
> frustrating than one of those damn wizards that forces you along a
> particular process.

Agreed.

> Sometimes (maybe often) it is preferable to present an aggregated view of
> information in the UI from an object graph instance. One could achieve this
> with a custom UI (e.g. calling the ISIS domain RO viewer) however I'm
> thinking why not simply use a (transient) ISIS object instead and treat it
> as a UI model component which from my point of view simply amounts to
> making it transient and putting it in a package that indicates that it is
> not part of the domain layer and ensure that this "UI" object has a
> dependency on the domain layer but never the other way around ( no dom
> object should depend on the UI). To give you an example: Say I have a Human
> Resource domain (with
> Person--->Employment--->PositionAssigment--->Position--->OrgUnit--->Organisation)
> but I want to implement an easy to enterprise resource directory so that
> users could quickly search for people in the organisation and once found
> display all the relevant and permitted information about the
>  person on a single page so that the user doesn't have to bounce around
> the dom graph to get this information. So I have a StaffDetails aggregating
> object in the UI that dynamically aggregates the relevant information from
> the dom object graph by calling dom behaviour. Similarly I might want to
> implement a MyDetails UI object for the same reason. Does that make sense?
> To me, taking this approach makes the wicket viewer a lot more acceptable
> to users.
>
> It does make sense.  In fact, the .NET version of Naked Objects they have
implemented addressable view models, which are non-persistent but act as if
they are persistent. This originated from a code sketch I did in the RO
spec.  I don't think it'd be that hard to implement in Isis, either.

Then, in the Wicket viewer, one could register a custom ComponentFactory to
render the view model as required (using the lower-level components to
build up the pieces of the UI).

Not really a difficult piece of work (though not a priority for me right
now).  I could provide guidance to someone in your team if it's something
you'd like to explore further.

Cheers
Dan

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi David

Posted by David Tildesley <da...@yahoo.co.nz>.
Hi Dan,

Sounds good (for internet facing apps).

[...]

The DnD viewer I understood was a highly productive desktop UI for DSW? of Ireland. Should it not live on in the form of a JFX based viewer? Then the alternative jscript based viewer(s) could deliver to a variety of portable devices or instead  a native iOS and Android ISIS and Metro? app generated viewer.

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.
+1 To David   :-))

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.
+1 To David   :-))

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.

Posted by GESCONSULTOR - Óscar Bou <o....@gesconsultor.com>.

Posted by Kevin Meyer - KMZ <ke...@kmz.co.za>.
Hi Dan,

--
Kevin Meyer,      Cell: +386 (0)70 260 321   Ljubljana, Slovenia