Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Andrew E. White" <ae...@uark.edu> on 2007/03/19 21:48:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Multiple Apache servers advice

Due to a set of requirements, I am having to setup apache to run with multiple instances. For the most part we want the httpd.conf files to be the same. I realize that I must set each instance to bind to its own set of ports, but what else should I worry about?

Are there going to be any issues with log file sharing? I don't know if writes are atomic.
Any common modules that might have problems with this scheme?
Are there any other problems/risks I should consider?

I have read the following...
http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.apache.user/2002-05/msg00972.html

But the thread doesn't address *how* to "make sure that each Apache instance has its own lock files, scoreboard files, PID file, log files, proxy cache directory [etc]"

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Re: [users@httpd] Multiple Apache servers advice

Posted by Jonathan Mangin <jo...@comcast.net>.
> Due to a set of requirements, I am having to setup apache to run with
multiple instances. For the most part we want the httpd.conf files to be the
same. I realize that I must set each instance to bind to its own set of
ports, but what else should I worry about?

> Are there going to be any issues with log file sharing? I don't know if
writes are atomic.
> Any common modules that might have problems with this scheme?
> Are there any other problems/risks I should consider?
>
> I have read the following...
> http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.apache.user/2002-05/msg00972.html
>
> But the thread doesn't address *how* to "make sure that each Apache
instance has its own lock files, scoreboard files, PID file, log files,
proxy cache directory [etc]"

> Thanks in advance,
> Andrew

I configured/installed two instances of 2.0.59 recently, with
different --prefix(es).  Without a 'make clean' after the first
install, both were sharing the original's log files.  PID and
logging are now separate.  Don't know about other files.
--Jon