Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by ru...@albany.edu on 2003/12/03 19:37:19 UTC

HTTP User Parameter Modifier

Howdy,
I see that the "HTTP User Parameter Modifier" has been deprecated?

1) Did it ever work?
Using Win2k + Jmeter 1.9.1  + java version "1.3.1_01"
where $JMHOME\bin\users.xml contains two parameters per thread
with paramnames "userid" and "password"

I tried setting up a login request (recorded through the proxy) which was
modified to use the paramnames defined in users.xml ( ${userid} and
${password} ). Pre-Processor "HTTP User Parameter Modifier" was added to
my Thread Group.

The run fails to login.
When viewing the request data (thru the Results Tree Listener) I see the
that ${userid} and ${password} have not been replaced. Copied from the
Results Tree Listener I get this:
userid=${userid}&password=%24%7Bpassword%7D
You can see the password value in my request "encoded" and  that the "${}"
chars have been URL encoded.

However, disabling the "HTTP User Parameter Modifier" and adding "User
Parameters" with appropriate values and re-running works...

2) What is the alternative given that I need to test several apps which
require logins with a load of several hundred users (and not necessarily
the same users). My test machines can only handle 50 threads so I need to
run my test plan on several machines; each with their own group of user
params.

users.xml seemed like the perfect solution.... Having to manually add 50
sets of user name/value pairs to six separate copies of the same test plan
is awfully tedious and limiting when I can programatically add user values
to several users.xml files and distribute to each machine. It also keeps
these values separate from the test plan allowing me to have several test
plans using the same (or different users.xml).

Ok, I've whined enough. Any suggestions?

Regards,
|----------------------------------|
| Ryan Russo                       |
| russo@[noSPAM].albany.edu        |
| University at Albany--Computing  |
| <<remove [noSPAM] to e-mail>>    |
| Technical Services Web Team      |
|__________________________________|

Re: HTTP User Parameter Modifier

Posted by ms...@apache.org.
Combine the User Parameters with a StringFromFile or CVSRead
function and you can then stick your usernames and passwords into
a text file very easily.

-Mike

help@jakarta.apache.org

--