Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Andrew Stitcher <as...@apache.org> on 2020/05/06 15:09:07 UTC

Changing the minimum supported versions of C compilers/python on windows for proton-c

Currently we support Visual Studio 2010 to compile the proton-c core
library. The major reason to support earlier versions of Visual Studio
compilers on Windows is that we need them to support the qpid-proton
binding extension on python 2.

I propose that we stop supporting Python 2 on Windows and only support
Python 3 there. This will allow us to move the earliest supported
version of Visual Studio - I'd suggest VS 2015 as this has decent C99
support.

This will allow us to clean up the Proton build significantly and
remove the nasty hack we've been carrying for years now of compiling
the library as C++ on Visual Studio and just make the Proton library
compiled as C99 everywhere. We will still have to avoid the bits of C99
that Visual Studio still doesn't support, but I don't think this is an
issue as we are currently doing this.

This would allow us to use some of the (20 year old!) goodness like
structure initialisers which make the code clearer to read.

If I hear no objections, I will get this in early in the 0.32 cycle.

Thoughts, and more particularly objections?

Stay safe.

Andrew