Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2002/11/22 21:18:45 UTC

WARNING: Silliness

Okay, so yesterday, it occured to me that svn.collab.net was sitting
just a few feet away, and it has, among other pieces of hardware, a
built-in speaker.  I heard the disk churn on the box, and immediately
though, "Someone must be committing."  As it turns out, I was wrong.
But it got me thinking that it would be cute to have some audio
notification of such a thing.

So Karl whipped up a script that plays a number of BEL characters
(beeps), specified by an integer command-line argument, and with a
1-second pause between them.  Karl then plugged that script into the
post-commit and post-revprop-change hooks.  Now if someone commits,
we hear 3 beeps; a propchange is 2 beeps.  It's been a source of fun
around here today.

But we're going one step further.

We'd like for each committer (who has the means to do so) to record a
small soundbite -- a soundcrumb, really -- that we can associate with
your username, and chunk out via the machine's soundcard. :-) Just
fire off a backgrounded mpg123 process, or that kinda thing.  Just
record something like, "Commit from Karl" or "Bomb's away!" ... you
get the point.

Obviously, nobody benefits from this but the CollabNet guys (and
actually, our non-Subversion co-workers might threaten to kill us when
they start hearing strange voices from the machine...) and our guests,
but we think it'd be a kick.

Send MP3s or OGGs to me at cmpilato@collab.net.

Re: WARNING: Silliness

Posted by Paul Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com>.
In a message dated: 22 Nov 2002 15:18:45 CST
cmpilato@collab.net said:

>So Karl whipped up a script that plays a number of BEL characters
>(beeps), specified by an integer command-line argument, and with a
>1-second pause between them.  Karl then plugged that script into the
>post-commit and post-revprop-change hooks.  Now if someone commits,
>we hear 3 beeps; a propchange is 2 beeps.  It's been a source of fun
>around here today.

What you really need is something like 'swatch', which, among other
things, can play sounds based on regex events occurring in log-files :)

It's usually used by sysadmins to monitor the state of their systems,
but I'm sure it could be subverted for subversion (pun intended :)

(As an aside, when ever someone attempted to su to root, but wasn't
authorized to do so, a toilet flushing sound would play.  If the
shutdown command were run, a death scream would sound, etc.)

	Swatch:		http://www.stanford.edu/~atkins/swatch/

There's also:
	NetPeep:	http://www.auralizer.com/

Anyway, this sounds like a lot of fun, good luck with it :)
--

Seeya,
Paul