Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2001/12/02 21:01:29 UTC

docs pdf again

Well, I just uploaded a new apache-1.3.22-docs-pdf.zip to the dist
directory.  I created it using Acrobat 4.0 as follows:

1. Checked out the 1.3 docs into a local repository.

2. Copy /dev/null over the header.html and footer.html files in all the
directories (to try to reduce the size and length of the final document a
little).

3. In acrobat, I used "open web page" and pointed it at the sitemap.html
file with the "levels" setting at "2" so that it would grab each link from
that page and nothing else.

4. Under "conversion settings" I turned off headers and footers (because
they would have pointed to the URL on my local server) and under html
settings I changed to all 10pt fonts.  In addition, under "page layout" I
changed the top and bottom margins to .3" and the left and right margins
to .2".  This doesn't make for a very nice looking document, but at least
I was able to keep it under 500 pages (458 to be exact).

5. Let it run.

6. Extract the sitemap page and then reinsert it after the main
documentation page to get things in a better order.

7. I zipped the resulting file.  Gzip would be nice, since many browsers
would do the decode automatically.  But there are lots of screwed up
browsers that do the decode but don't remove the .gz extension, resulting
in all sorts of confusion.  The .zip seems to work fairly well.

Rich, please feel to give it a crack with the other tool.  If you can come
up with something better, I am happy to use it.

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome.

The whole process (including creation of a sitemap) needs to be repeated
for 2.0, but I may leave that for another day.

Joshua.

RE: docs pdf again

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Rodent of Unusual Size [mailto:Ken.Coar@Golux.Com]
> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > Well, I just uploaded a new apache-1.3.22-docs-pdf.zip to the dist
> > directory.
>
> My only suggestion would be to consider naming it ".pdf.zip"
> rather than "-pdf.zip"..?

Done.

There are still some problems with this file, like the fact that there are
no page numbers because I had to supress the headers and footers.  I could
redo it directly off the httpd.apache.org site, but then it would probably
jump back into the 600 page range.  Ah well.  Nothing is perfect.

Joshua.

Re: docs pdf again

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

--
#ken	P-)}

Re: docs pdf again

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

	:
> By the way, it appears that the pdf docs are being downloaded
> around 1000 times per day.

"Push Your Hit Counter Through the Roof!  Expert Tips from
Joshua Slive!" ;-D
--
#ken	P-)}

RE: docs pdf again

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Ouch.  I just discovered that there are a bunch of links from the pdf to
http://slive.ca/ap/...

I guess that if Acrobat can't tell that the URL is included in the document
(for example, because it is referenced in the sitemap as "mod/" and
elsewhere as "mod/index.html"), then it just links to the external resource.

I don't want all those people visiting my site, so unless anyone has a
better idea, I'll regerate the doc tonight off of http://httpd.apache.org/.
This will wind up being the 600+ page version with headers and footers
included.