Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sujit Kale <su...@tcs.com> on 2010/12/09 09:07:32 UTC

Tomcat starts many java processes

Hi,

I am using apache tomcat (6.0.14) with java (1.5.0_15) on linux ( vmrhel
2.6.9-34.EL) running inside a virtual machine

When I start tomcat it should start only 1 java process. But in my case it
starts 8-10 processes. If I shutdown tomcat all processes vanishes. All
the processes seems to be replica of the parent process. If I kill any of
the process tomcat shuts down.

One more observation is, on i have 2 users on my system, root and oracle.
This problem comes when I start tomcat as oracle but if I am root, tomcat
behaves as usual i.e no extra java processes only one.

I tried using tomcat 5 but problem persists with same observations.

What could be the reason for such behavior?

please find the screenshot for better understanding...

Warm Regards,

Sujit Kale
Assistant System Engineer
Tata Consultancy Services
Ph:- +912267782863
Cell:- +91 9987290972
Mailto: sujit.kale@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Outsourcing
=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: Tomcat starts many java processes

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2010/12/9 Sujit Kale <su...@tcs.com>:
> When I start tomcat it should start only 1 java process. But in my case it
> starts 8-10 processes.

The ps command on some  versions of Linux shows threads as processes.
It is mentioned in the FAQ,
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Linux_Unix#Q1

Re: Tomcat starts many java processes

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/12/2010 08:07, Sujit Kale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using apache tomcat (6.0.14) with java (1.5.0_15) on linux ( vmrhel
> 2.6.9-34.EL) running inside a virtual machine

All three of those could do with an update.

Mark