Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2016/03/01 13:12:00 UTC

ramping up

As people may recall, I offered to mentor fineract but we had
sufficient mentors. I am starting to ramp up my actual dev
involvement in anticipation of getting commit. Suggestions
and focus areas welcomed.

Re: ramping up

Posted by Terence Monteiro <te...@sanjosesolutions.in>.
Hi Jim,

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> As people may recall, I offered to mentor fineract but we had
> sufficient mentors. I am starting to ramp up my actual dev
> involvement in anticipation of getting commit.

Pleased to hear from you again!​ As a Mifos Contributor and Partner I'd say
the key impact areas to reach the next 3 billion are
1. Mifos Mobility and
2. Non MFI organizations providing Financial Inclusion

Much of our target audience (much of Africa and some Asian and South
American countries) are in areas where there's zero or near zero Internet
connectivity. A number of efforts are on to bridge this gap:
  1. Bulk SMS Applications which provide notifications to clients with a
basic phone (e.g savings deposit/withdrawal)
  2. Mobile Applications (for tablet, smartphone) which enable staff of
Financial Institutions to provide services in remote areas
  3. Mobile money solutions: though these exist and are implemented by 1 or
2 partners, we need an Open Source solution for the larger community

Another area which can help the community, is implementing the SACCO
functionality persistence. Currently we have mock APIs but the data is
stored in memory. It will greatly help if this is persisted in the
database. The Functional Specs for this are at
https://mifosforge.jira.com/wiki/display/MIFOSX/Share+Account+Management+and+Dividend+Payment
I've copied Nazeer from the core team who is working on the SACCO
functionality in this mail.

> Suggestions
> and focus areas welcomed.

These are just some of the areas but there are several more and we hope you
find a good responsive community and looking forward to hearing more.

--
Best, Terence,
Github: terencemo