Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by dan z <da...@hotmail.com> on 2006/04/28 20:03:36 UTC

newbie question

Hi All,

Just started looking at jackrabbit and have a question regarding the JDK
version requirement: the document says JDK1.4 is mandatory. But my web app
has to run on a WebSphere server that supports only J2ee1.3 and won't be
upgraded in short period.

Could anyone tell me what part of jackrabbit requires JDK1.4 and / or is
there any workaround?

I can of course use a separate server that supports newer JDK version, but
not sure if that will introduce other problem since my web application would
then need to use remote access to the content repository.

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented MicrosoftŽ SmartScreen
Technology.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.

Re: newbie question

Posted by danz z <da...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you Marcel.

In this case, I have another question: looking at the deployment "how-to"
pages (model 2), I need to register a Server Resource in
"GlobalNamingResources" and then bind it to a JNDI name.

How can I do this in Geronimo? There doesn't seem to be a counterpart of
"GlobalNamingResources" in Geronimo.

Thanks,
D.Z.

>From: Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>
>To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
>Subject: Re: newbie question
>Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 17:43:54 +0200
>
>dan z wrote:
>>Just started looking at jackrabbit and have a question regarding the JDK
>>version requirement: the document says JDK1.4 is mandatory. But my web app
>>has to run on a WebSphere server that supports only J2ee1.3 and won't be
>>upgraded in short period.
>>
>>Could anyone tell me what part of jackrabbit requires JDK1.4 and / or is
>>there any workaround?
>
>there are various areas in jackrabbit that use 1.4 features:
>- parsing of QName and Path uses regular expressions
>- repository impl uses NIO
>- javax.security is used for authentication
>- javax.xml.transform for xml processing
>- some collection classes that are only available in 1.4
>
>I don't think there is a workaround to get jackrabbit working with 1.3.
>some of the missing features might be available as separate jar files from
>sun, but getting the NIO feature into a 1.3 jdk seems hopeless.
>
>regards
>  marcel

Don't just Search. Find! http://search.sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx The new
MSN Search! Check it out!