Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Rhodes, Phillip C." <Ph...@alcoa.com> on 2001/05/10 19:11:05 UTC

frontending existing web applications as a portlet

We have a bunch of existing web apps (jsp, asp, etc) that I would like to
make available as portlets.  Many of the applications take post arguments.
I did not see an example of this type of portlet.

Any pointers out there?

Thanks.
Phillip

Re: frontending existing web applications as a portlet

Posted by Johnny Cass <jo...@epiuse.com>.
"Rhodes, Phillip C." wrote:

> We have a bunch of existing web apps (jsp, asp, etc) that I would like to
> make available as portlets.  Many of the applications take post arguments.
> I did not see an example of this type of portlet.
>
> Any pointers out there?

I would suggest having a look at the new portlet API (available as the
'portlet_api' tag in the CVS). You should be able to see how portlets
are supposed to interact with each other and their environment.

Using the current version of Jetspeed, to pass parameters, you probably
need to prefix the parameter names with some kind of unique identifier
to specify which portlet the parameter(s) are for. The portlet should
then examine the RunData on each request to extract it's parameters.

An alternative would be to store the portlet's parameters in some kind
of HashTable and add THAT to the RunData so that each portlet can
retrieve it's corresponding HashTable for examination on the next
request.

This is just my opinion on the simplest way to achieve this. A far
better and more robust approach would be to implement something similar
to the mechanisms used in the new API.

I'm sure somebody can come up with a better solution.

Hope this helps...
- Johnny