Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by jude <fl...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/09 21:26:27 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Radiate IDE 0.0.1 is now an open source project

Starting today Radiate IDE is an open source project. Radiate is to you and
I a hybrid of Flash Builder design view, Flash Catalyst, Dreamweaver with
some elements of PS and AI and code generation.

Here's the fancy formal marketing description:

*Product*

*Radiate is a multiplatform web and application design and development
program that changes the way software is made. With Radiate anyone can
create professional website, web application or mobile app within a visual
design environment in a fraction of the time without loss of functionality.
Since you can generate and then view the code from a visual design it can
be used as a learning tool. It can also run in the browser giving you the
ability to work or comment on a project without installing software. Since
it supports multiple programming languages you can use it with the language
of your choice. It also integrates with Wordpress to allow you to visual
design and edit themes. *

*It is not only a developer tool. Just as much attention is given to the
designer. A designer can import a Photoshop design and continue to work on
it with the features they know and love. But now they can add interactivity
to it and turn it into a website or application.*

*If you have ever done any of of these you will know the tremendous amount
of work that is involved. With this software what used to take weeks or
months will now take days. *
   *Technology *

*When creating any type of software you use multiple pieces of technology.
Photoshop and Illustrator are used to design the prototype, mockup tools
are used to test the UI, code tools are used to write the software and
rarely are they compatible with each other. *

*In application and website development half of the project is converting
the design into workable code. You must export the designs piece by piece
and then write code that reproduces the design. If the client changes the
design weeks of work may have to be converted again. This conversion is
done on the fly with this software. *

*This work is built in such a way that it can be used as a foundation to
build additional products such as Text Documents, Spreadsheets,
Presentations and so on to create a Google Drive, Microsoft Office, etc.
where multiple types of documents are available and compatible with each
other (partially through MXML input and output) to be updated and exported
to other formats and languages. *

*Notes*

This is in an progress project. While what is there took a lot of work this
isn't a complete design studio type of project; it's more like a getting
started type of thing. It's direction is based on the community. I'd like
it to be a foundation we can improve on and use to build great software.
You can read more on goals and setup here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Setting+up+the+Radiate+Development+Environment>.
It's made the way it is because I want a tool that will do all or part of
my job for me. For example, right now it's just at the early point where I
can create a design and layout it will generate the HTML markup and CSS or
MXML and I can copy and paste that into my project. That's what I'm using
it for now but I hope it will be able to augment my work much more in time.
It's not there yet. I'd like to be able to get a psd or image and import
that into the program and then create the layout over the top of the
background image. Then have that markup to use where I need it. I can also
import basic MXML and it will generate HTML markup. That's useful to me.
I'd also like to get more people into Flex. We can put this up online and
let people create a layout visually and see the MXML and how easy it is to
export that to an app or website. But what you need it to do may be
different. We need to think about where want it to be a year from now. Let
me know your thoughts.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Radiate IDE 0.0.1 is now an open source project

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM, jude <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I received a few emails stating that making it open source is not the same
> as donating it to Apache Flex which is what I wanted to do. I'm in the
> process of seeing what that takes and finding out even if Apache Flex
> community wants it to be part of the Apache Flex project at all. That would
> mean the community would be responsible updates, patches and releases for
> it. That's something to discuss. In the mean time I've released it under
> Apache 2.0 license (if this works for everyone bueler bueler?). Just to be
> clear you can branch it, make your own projects and derivations from it or
> work on the main branch.
>
> BTW, What my main focus has been is to be able to design something that
> then generates a web site or an application with a lot of hooks and tools
> to do our job (web, mobile and desktop). Why not use Photoshop or Ai to
> accomplish that? I could! That will work for some projects but I'm trying
> to support the full Flex framework. And there's projects I'd like to do
> that would require it's own environment. Also, code editing or text editing
> might better be handled in things like FDT, FB, or IntelliJ. Blah blah blah
> blah...

Jude,

Thanks for offering to donate Radiate to Apache Flex. It would be great to
have Radiate as part of Apache Flex.  I think the community would be
benefited from such a tool.

If no one has objections, I will start a [POLL] thread on this so that we
can get a real gauge on the community interest.

Thanks,
Om

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Radiate IDE 0.0.1 is now an open source project