Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2009/09/11 19:14:38 UTC

[VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-rc2

The Cassandra community voted on and approved the release of Apache
Cassandra 0.4.0-rc2. We would now like to request the approval of the
Incubator PMC for this release.

Cassandra is a massively scalable, eventually consistent, distributed,
structured key-value store.

Podling vote thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00887.html
0.4.0-rc2 artifacts: http://people.apache.org/~eevans
SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.4.0-rc2
Project home: http://incubator.apache.org/cassandra/
Incubation status: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cassandra.html

The vote will remain open for 72 hours (or longer if needed).

There were a number of changes made since RC1 to address concerns raised
in previous votes. Among them:

* License texts in lib/licenses where removed and incorporated into a
monolithic top-level LICENSE.txt. CASSANDRA-371

* Attributions for all third-party code was added to the top-level
NOTICE.txt file. CASSANDRA-371

* Commons javaflow was removed. CASSANDRA-428

* The developers/contributors reference in NOTICE.txt was removed, (as
was the actual list in pom.xml). CASSANDRA-415

* Missing SVN properties that had crept in were added, and project
documentation updated. CASSANDRA-429

Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

[VOTE RESULTS] was: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-rc2

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
The vote is now closed with the following results:

 * +1 votes: 4 (Ant Elder, Paul Querna, Leo Simons, Matthieu Riou)
 * 0 votes: 0
 * -1 votes: 0

The vote passes.

Thanks everyone.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-rc2

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:
>> I'm curious though, when you say "...which makes me whinge just enough
>> to not give a +1", is that hypothetical, or is there feedback that we
>> could incorporate so that you would actually vote for our release?
>
> Nah, it means just fix your open jira eventually and lobby some other
> IPMC members for +1s...just I don't have more time to look at things
> atm to convince myself all is fine.

Had a better look. It does all seems pretty obvious which code comes from where.

So, +1 from me.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-rc2

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:
> I'm curious though, when you say "...which makes me whinge just enough
> to not give a +1", is that hypothetical, or is there feedback that we
> could incorporate so that you would actually vote for our release?

Nah, it means just fix your open jira eventually and lobby some other
IPMC members for +1s...just I don't have more time to look at things
atm to convince myself all is fine.

ciao,

- Leo

Re: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-rc2

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 16:24 +0100, Leo Simons wrote:
> Hrmpf, not sure. Since they're in a gen-java directory its pretty
> obvious what the story with them is, but CLILexer.java also misses a
> license header, which makes *me* whinge just enough to not give a +1,
> but that's also because I don't know much about the provenance of the
> codebase. You might get +1s from other folks, you did before, the
> files are there in the 0.3.x :)

None of the generated files contain license headers and my understanding
was that they were exempt from this, (and even the output of Rat seems
support this). Sebb's point was that they were included in the source
archive but are not checked into SVN (i.e. because they were generated
during release), which is certainly true.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 08:52 +0100, sebb wrote:
>>>
>>> The source archive contains 3 files that are not in SVN:
>>>
>>> Cli.tokens
>>> CliLexer.java
>>> CliParser.java
>>>
>>> These are generated files.
>>>
>>> Either store the files in SVN and release them, or remove them from
>>> the release.
>>
>> I think everyone sort of forgot about these, (there is an open issue on
>> this, CASSANDRA-316); is this considered blocking?
>
> Hrmpf, not sure. Since they're in a gen-java directory its pretty
> obvious what the story with them is, but CLILexer.java also misses a
> license header, which makes *me* whinge just enough to not give a +1,
> but that's also because I don't know much about the provenance of the
> codebase. You might get +1s from other folks, you did before, the
> files are there in the 0.3.x :)
>
> - Leo

AFAIU missing license headers on individual files can be ok as they're
still covered by the top level LICENSE file and the individual headers
are only "to be safe" for files with significant IP which these
generated files don't have, so I'll give it a +1 as is.

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Release cassandra 0.4.0-rc2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 08:52 +0100, sebb wrote:
>>>
>>> The source archive contains 3 files that are not in SVN:
>>>
>>> Cli.tokens
>>> CliLexer.java

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 08:52 +0100, sebb wrote:

> The source archive contains 3 files that are not in SVN:
>
> Cli.tokens
> CliLexer.java
> CliParser.java
>
> These are generated files.
>
> Either store the files in SVN and release them, or remove them from
> the release.

I think everyone sort of forgot about these, (there is an open issue on
this, CASSANDRA-316); is this considered blocking?

> [I'm not quite sure why you need these files anyway, given that you
> also depend on commons-cli.]

There is no overlap. These files are generated by ANTLR to parse text
interactively typed at the console, not parse the arguments passed on
the command line.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/09/2009, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:

>  The Cassandra community voted on and approved the release of Apache
>  Cassandra 0.4.0-rc2. We would now like to request the approval of the
>  Incubator PMC for this release.
>
>  Cassandra is a massively scalable, eventually consistent, distributed,
>  structured key-value store.
>
>  Podling vote thread:
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00887.html
>  0.4.0-rc2 artifacts: http://people.apache.org/~eevans

The source archive contains 3 files that are not in SVN:

Cli.tokens
CliLexer.java
CliParser.java

These are generated files.

Either store the files in SVN and release them, or remove them from the release.

[I'm not quite sure why you need these files anyway, given that you
also depend on commons-cli.]

>  SVN tag:
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/tags/cassandra-0.4.0-rc2

Another SVN property to be fixed at some point (not blocker)
svn ps svn:eol-style native contrib/bmt_example/CassandraBulkLoader.java

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Matthieu

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.