Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ruda Moura <ru...@dexter.damec.cefetpr.br> on 2004/03/30 15:19:57 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd performance and tunning

Hello everybody,

we have some Apache2 servers [stock suse 7.2 package] installed for webmail,
we use a php client for this.
My apaches are listenning on ports 80 and 8080, but clients *only
connect* on port 80.
I have one machine in front of these apaches to balance connections.

I notice that connections from port 80 are very slow. It take times (30
seconds or more)
to return a requests. But when I connect from port 8080 everything is so
*fast* (less than 5s).

Running netstat on one of my webmail servers I see
# connections on port 80  ->  496
# conn. ESTABLISHED      54
# conn. CLOSE_WAIT      381
# conn. TIME_WAIT      36

many CLOSE_WAIT connections.

Is this related? What options in httpd.config I should hack to get
better performance?
I have...
StartServers         5
MinSpareServers      5