Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Peter Nabbefeld <Pe...@gmx.de> on 2005/04/22 13:30:17 UTC

Automatic database and schema creation

Hello,

I just want to create a database, if it does not yet exist. Database
creation works, schema creation does not. I'm using the following syntax
(in Java):

     Statement stmt = con.createStatement();
     stmt.execute("CREATE SCHEMA USER");

The result is an SQLException with SQLState = 42X01 (Syntax error).
What am I doing wrong? Before creation, I'm trying to insert a record.
If an Exception is thrown, I ask for status 42Y07 (Schema does not
exist). Derby is stable version (10.0.2.1).

Kind regards

Peter Nabbefeld

Re: Automatic database and schema creation

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.
Derby client patch was put to vote through end of last week. From what I
can tell, it seems to have passed. Pending some CCLA issues, the client
should be part of next Derby release.

Satheesh

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Hi, Jon,

Posted by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>.
I don't know if it's the case that you are already doing this, but, you can
get better error messages if you set the following driver attribute. It's
set to false by default. Supposedly, this will be changed when IBM releases
the source code to the JDBC driver. Any word on when that's going to happen?
I thought they were supposed to do it a long time ago...

retrieveMessagesFromServerOnGetMessage=true

Jon

Posted by Øystein Grøvlen <Oy...@Sun.COM>.

    ØG> Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
    >> Hello,

    >> I just want to create a database, if it does not yet exist. Database
    >> creation works,  schema creation does  not. I'm using  the following
    >> syntax (in Java):

    >> Statement stmt = con.createStatement();

    >> stmt.execute("CREATE SCHEMA USER");
    >> The result is an SQLException with SQLState = 42X01 (Syntax error).

    >> What  am I  doing wrong?  Before creation,  I'm trying  to  insert a
    >> record. If  an Exception is thrown,  I ask for  status 42Y07 (Schema
    >> does not exist). Derby is stable version (10.0.2.1).

    ØG> USER  is a  reserved word.  I think  it would  be nice  if  the error
    ØG> message reflected that.

When I tried this myself in the embedded configuration, I got:

     ERROR 42X01: Syntax error: Encountered "user" at line 1, column 15.

which should give you a hint of what the problem is.  Is it possible
to change the message to "Encountered reserved word "user" at ..."?

--
Øystein

Re: Automatic database and schema creation

Posted by Peter Nabbefeld <Pe...@gmx.de>.
Thank You, it works now.

Peter

Posted by Øystein Grøvlen - Sun Norway <Oy...@Sun.COM>.