Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/09 17:59:56 UTC

[DRLVM] one more gc

While some works going on to properly integrate DRLVM in harmony build system...

I would like to start development of new garbage collector. I know
about Weldon's work related to MMTk. I am not sure that it is the
right way.

Instead of doing GC based on java, I would concentrate on the one
written in C. I think that the VM written in C (or C++ ) should have
GC written the same way.

I have some experience in garbage collectors (stop-the-world ones for
now) and want to extend my knowledge in this area. That is one of the
reasons I want to make the GC, but do not port the existing one. I
hope I will eventually produce something which is better then existing
implementations or at least a few new ideas.

I would like to start implementing something similar to Train
algorithm, then possibly modify it in direction to Garbage First
collector. I want to create something with high performance and low
pauses.  At the beginning it will not even compile. I do not expect
this to be interesting to anyone for some time, but as Geir always
suggests I going to do this in public to avoid surprises.

All required VM functionality (for GC written in C) is already in
place. DRLVM's interfaces for GC is ok for me and should be quite
portable. Write barriers implementation is already in place, suitable
for C-based Gc: (Harmony-504 (me), Harmony-581 (Ming Wu)).

As I don't have commiter account, I going to create one JIRA and start
to fill it with patches. In the patches I will create directory
enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/gcx and will start to fill it with stubs and
implementation. I am going to do it mostly at spare time.

I hope this doesn't bother anyone. :)
--
Ivan
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [DRLVM] one more gc

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
Ivan,
  Even if the vtable gc data layout change is small and code specific, it
will be interesting to see the change proposal here first, specially if you
are considering submitting it.
  Sounds quite promising. 1.5% is not small. Some details of which workload
saw the 1.5% collection delta would also help.

Thanks much,
Rana

Re: [DRLVM] one more gc

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DRLVM] one more gc

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ivan,

Re: [DRLVM] one more gc

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.
Weldon,

Thank you, for your interest. The main idea of the implementation is
just education of myself. I wanted to start with train algorithm to
better understand its pros and cons. I didn't supposed to stick with
that algorithm. Moreover, when just starting the implementation I
noticed some potential performance issues. This made me reevaluate the
idea and move further.

Of cause, it is possible to take working implementation or jump into
the best solution, but thus I will make no decision my self and will
not know whole picture of possible solutions.

Re: [DRLVM] one more gc

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
 Ivan,

> [...]

> algorithm, then possibly modify it in direction to Garbage First
> collector. I want to create something with high performance and low
> pauses.  At the beginning it will not even compile. I do not expect
> this to be interesting to anyone for some time, but as Geir always
> suggests I going to do this in public to avoid surprises.
>
> All required VM functionality (for GC written in C) is already in
> place. DRLVM's interfaces for GC is ok for me and should be quite
> portable. Write barriers implementation is already in place, suitable
> for C-based Gc: (Harmony-504 (me), Harmony-581 (Ming Wu)).
>
> As I don't have commiter account, I going to create one JIRA and start
> to fill it with patches. In the patches I will create directory
> enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/gcx and will start to fill it with stubs and
> implementation. I am going to do it mostly at spare time.

Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division