Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2012/03/02 00:41:39 UTC

Maven site and CMS/svnpubsub

as you may have remarked from some "little" commit logs, Joe put a test site
for CMS+svnpubsub of Maven site online [1], with a full CMS integration of
site build using Maven (thank you Joe)

What was done to adapt the site to the CMS integration is quickly documented
in CMS adoption page [2]

The result is as follow: each page of the Maven site can be edited and
published directly from the CMS web interface. If you added the CMS
bookmarklet, in one click, you're on the source of the page, ready to edit and
publish. A few clicks later, the site is staged, then you can publish it.
There is actually a bug in svnpubsub that prevents immediate publish, infra is
working on it, but the workflow is really natural.
It should help everyone to modify the plugins versions, for example, and
publish without great experience from the site publication commands.

For the components publication, which is to be done only during the release
process, the wrokflow is totally different. After staging the site locally
during the release, you have to import it into website's production svn [3],
as a versionned component path.
Then edit content/resources/extpaths.txt in the Maven main site svn to add the
relative path and protect the diretory to be removed later on Maven site
edits.
When you're happy with the release, you can change component's unversionned
path to symlink to the actual version.
I did this manually with /ant-tasks which is a symlink to /ant-tasks-2.1.3

Having this process will make IMHO the asf-svnpubsub-plugin requirements even
easier than expected: no need to update a svn tree, just import.

There is still work to do before activating the solution for the real Maven
site, but the actual result is really good, IMHO, since these 2 workflows are
very intuitive.
Any thoughts?

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://maventest.apache.org/

[2] http://www.staging.apache.org/dev/cmsadoption.html

[3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/maventest/content/

Re: Maven site and CMS/svnpubsub

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
yes, and there is nothing in the CMS to detect which source were changed then
which generated content to check-in

we can remove the last published date, that's what is done on pdfbox or tikka.

or accept these commit messages, which aren't really useful, but that's life

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
AFAIU, a mvn site build is called on buildbot when changing something.
So as with using cli "last published" is updated for all pages.

2012/3/7 Robert Scholte <ap...@sourcegrounds.com>:
> First I had to find out how to "install" the bookmarklet, but after that
> it's actually quite nice.
> But every change results in a commit divided over 4 e-mail messages (ok,
> already better than 46).
> It updates the "last published" for all pages.
> Why not publish only this page? It also shows the visitor how old the
> information on that page is.
> I'm pretty sure there are pages which suggest to be up to date but are in
> fact outdated or even wrong nowadays.
>
> -Robert
>
> Op Wed, 07 Mar 2012 05:10:14 +0100 schreef Hervé BOUTEMY
> <he...@free.fr>:
>

>> Maven site won't be publishable from mvn command line: either you edit it
>> through the CMS web ui, either directly in classical source svn, but both
>> edits are then mvn-built by buildbot to staging area, not by the devloper
>> on
>> his local machine. Of course, everybody can build the site for himself on
>> his
>> local machine, but not for publication: for the moment, we let the CMS do
>> the
>> publication of his own builds.
>>

>> This is different from components, where the CMS won't be used neither to
>> edit
>> nor build+publish: here, the developer will build the component site on
>> his
>> local machine then commit the locally-staged site to svn (with
>> asf-svnpubsub-
>> plugin if we try to keep a consistent history, or something even more
>> simple/brutal if we don't). And since the svn we talk about here is
>> diretly
>> the production site svn, the modifications will be directly available to
>> the
>> public site
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé

>>> I mean when deploying tru cli using the classic mvn site (which will
>>> commit to svn). We will need it for sub projects etc..
>>> So after commit we will need to publish the site tru cms (or maybe I
>>> miss something :-) )

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: Maven site and CMS/svnpubsub