Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> on 2016/02/11 18:41:24 UTC

Interesting paper on crash recovery - incl ZK

I noticed this on "the morning paper" this morning:
http://blog.acolyer.org/2016/02/11/fs-not-equal/

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/osdi14/osdi14-paper-pillai.pdf

Seems they found a couple of issues that ZK is vulnerable to that we
should consider...

Patrick

Re: Interesting paper on crash recovery - incl ZK

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Patrick's linked paper was different: "All File Systems Are Not Created
Equal: On the Complexity of Crafting Crash-Consistent Applications".  This
one is "Simple testing can prevent most critical failures-- An analysis of
production failures in distributed data-intensive systems".  This one is
interesting too though, so thanks for sharing again.

--Chris Nauroth

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
I pointed to that work after attending the presentation back in 2014, here is the message I sent to the list back then:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201410.mbox/%3C1412720688.91993.YahooMailNeo@web142305.mail.bf1.yahoo.com%3E <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/201410.mbox/%3C1412720688.91993.YahooMailNeo@web142305.mail.bf1.yahoo.com%3E>

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.