Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2010/06/11 16:57:42 UTC

Analytics

Hey dev@,

would anybody here mind if we'd put google analytics on
couchdb.apache.org and make public the stats? If not,
I'll set it up.

Cheers
Jan

Re: Analytics

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On 11 Jun 2010, at 16:35, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> We could run it in the Solaris Zone we are entitled to, but I don't think
> anyone wants to set up and maintain this.

+1

Re: Analytics

Posted by Paul Bonser <mi...@gmail.com>.
I actually started on an analytics couchapp after asking the question
yesterday. I wanted to see if I could make it work similarly to Google
Analytics or Woopra (real-time analytics, pretty cool), and only as a
pure couchapp.

So far I had to add an external handler because there's no way to have
a jsonp request add docs to the database.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Daniel Truemper

Re: Analytics

Posted by Daniel Truemper <tr...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Analytics

Posted by Paul Bonser <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Analytics

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 11 Jun 2010, at 16:27, Noah Slater wrote:
>

>> On 11 Jun 2010, at 16:14, Paul Bonser wrote:
>>
>>> How about something open-source like http://piwik.org/ instead?
>>
>> Nah, it's not as good.
>>
>> It also requires us to set it up on the ASF infrastructure, which ain't gonna happen.
>
> We could run it in the Solaris Zone we are entitled to, but I don't think
> anyone wants to set up and maintain this.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

You lost me at Solaris.

Paul

Re: Analytics

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Analytics

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 11, 2010, at 8:36 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> I pinged the infrastructure guys. They said that there are projects
> using Google Analytics. The only other thing was that vgritsenko doing
> log file analysis [1].

+1 on GA.

But I'm curious if we can use something like vgritsenko's technique to get a rough idea of our historical traffic. Anyone know how long they keep log files around for?

Chris

Re: Analytics

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Analytics

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Re: Analytics

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 11 Jun 2010, at 16:14, Paul Bonser wrote:

> How about something open-source like http://piwik.org/ instead?

I wouldn't want to maintain the infrastructure.

Cheers
Jan

Re: Analytics

Posted by David Coallier <da...@php.net>.
On 11 June 2010 16:14, Paul Bonser <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about something open-source like http://piwik.org/ instead?
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

I'd have to vouch for Google Analytics as well. Even though I
understand the need to seek for open source software, Google Analytics
is free, does not require any work (maintenance, setup, keeping
updated) and works straight off the bat... and it works well.

+1 for GA

--
David Coallier

Re: Analytics

Posted by Paul Bonser <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Analytics

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 11 Jun 2010, at 18:26, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hey dev@,
>>
>> would anybody here mind if we'd put google analytics on
>> couchdb.apache.org and make public the stats? If not,
>> I'll set it up.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jan
>> --
>>

> +1 for google analytics. no need to maintain such stuff. Is there any
> possibility to link to public read-only report ?

I think so, I'll figure it out and report back.

Cheers
Jan

Re: Analytics

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey dev@,
>
> would anybody here mind if we'd put google analytics on
> couchdb.apache.org and make public the stats? If not,
> I'll set it up.
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --

+1 for google analytics. no need to maintain such stuff. Is there any
possibility to link to public read-only report ?

- benoit