Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com> on 2013/03/04 21:04:18 UTC

Networking Question

Hi,

I have not had the opportunity to make use of the Advanced Networking
features in CloudStack.

Can someone fill me in or point me to relevant docs regarding how we
isolate VMs from one another?

For example, in a Basic Networking CS environment, is each VM run on its
own VLAN?

Assuming that's the case, if you wanted to have multiple VMs of yours on
the same VLAN, is that only doable in the Advanced Networking mode of CS?

Thanks for any info! :)

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

RE: Networking Question

Posted by kelcey Damage <ke...@backbonetechnology.com>.
For starters I would direct you to the wiki article I wrote, and then move
on to some more advanced wiki content:

Crash course Linux/KVM advanced networking:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Managing+advanced+net
work+zone+infrastructure

Ilya wrote this tutorial:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Advanced+N
etwork+Tutorial+-+Step+by+Step

Murali wrote this:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/L4-L7+network+service
s+in+shared+network

Any un answered questions, I am happy to try and answer.

Thanks

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Hi,

Re: Networking Question

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
Hi,

Short answer: Shared networks let you create a manageable DMZ so to speak between domains.

If you have a multiple domains that need inter-guest communication without going over the public web.

Another use is that shared can be tagged or untagged letting you connect hardware into your networks.

Another use is to add direct public access to a guest in advanced networking enabling the VM to bypass the VR

The list of uses goes on, but I figure you have the picture :).

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Networking Question

Posted by Dave Cahill <dc...@midokura.com>.
Hi,

Re: Networking Question

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: Networking Question

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
Hi Mike, you can drop me an email directly if you want to talk about advanced networking features.