Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by William Cai <wc...@xwarelabs.com> on 2005/07/06 10:19:20 UTC

HTTPClient 3.0-RC3 or HTTPClient 2.0.2

Hi list,

I am a newcomer of this group. Currently I am arranging an automation test
framework which requires a programmable HTTP client package. I think Apache
HTTP client is the first choice. However, the version question is bothering
me. Apache officially recommends users upgrading to 3.0-RC3. But 2.0.2 is
still signed as stable release. Could you give me some ideas about which one
I should use? When will 3.0 become the stable release?

Any help is appreciated!

-William

Re: HTTPClient 3.0-RC3 or HTTPClient 2.0.2

Posted by Roland Weber <RO...@de.ibm.com>.
Hi William,

> When will 3.0 become the stable release?

As always: when it's ready :-)

No, seriously, 3.0 has become quite stable. If you are starting a new
project, it would be a waste of time and effort to go with 2.0.2.
Expect a stable 3.0 release this summer. We hope that RC3 will
become the stable release (but so we thought about RC1 and RC2 ;-)

The web site http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/index.html
has already switched from 2.0 to 3.0, that should give you an indication
about our confidence regarding 3.0.

hope that helps,
  Roland