Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by John Meza <j_...@hotmail.com> on 2013/03/04 20:00:55 UTC

dfs.datanode.du.reserved

the parameter: dfs.datanode.du.reserved is used to reserve disk space PER datanode. Is it possible to reserve a different amount of disk space per DISK?
thanksJohn

RE: dfs.datanode.du.reserved

Posted by John Meza <j_...@hotmail.com>.
Ok. I'll add my ideas and comments.

From: harsh@cloudera.com
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 06:37:20 +0530
Subject: Re: dfs.datanode.du.reserved
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Hey John,
Ideas, comments and patches are welcome on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1564 for achieving this!

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM, John Meza <j_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the reply. This sounds like it has potential, but also seems to be a rather duct-tape type of work around. It would be nice if there was a mod to dfs.datanode.du.reserved that worked within Hadoop, so that would imply that hadoop was a little more certain to adhere to it.

I understand that dfs.datanode.du.reserved defines reservd storage on each volume. I would like to give each volume a different reserved value.
An example: <name>dfs.datanode.du.reserved</name>
   <value>///hstore1/dfs/dn:161061273600,///hstore2/dfs/dn:53687091200</value>

Or something similiar. thanks
John
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 10:25:17 +0100
From: dechouxb@gmail.com

To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Not that I know. If so you should be able to identify each volume and as of now this isn't the case.

BUT it can be done without Hadoop knowing about it, at the OS level, using different partitions/mounts for datanode and jobtracker stuff. That should solve your problem.

Regards

Bertrand

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM, John Meza <j_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I'm probably not being clear.this seems to describe it: dfs.datanode.du.reserved  configured per-volume.

thanksJohn
From: outlawdba@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:37:36 -0500
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Possible to reserve 0 from various testing I have done yet that could cause the obvious side effect of achieving zero disk space:) Have only tested in development environment, however. Yet there are various tuning white papers and other benchmarks where the very same has been tested.

Thanks.

--
Ellis R. Miller937.829.2380

Mundo Nulla Fides