Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/10/23 22:25:53 UTC

*** HEADS UP *** JIRA MOVING

Guys,

This is just a HEADS UP.  Apache has set up Jira on nagoya.  We are in the
process of working with codehaus to migrate all of the ASF projects.

We're currently using a test load from codehaus.  Once we've ascertained
that there are no kinks, we'll load the final live data from Bob, at which
point he'll freeze the projects on codehaus to prevent updating the old
repository.

	--- Noel

RE: *** HEADS UP *** JIRA MOVING

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 21:27, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Jason,

> Ask what?  Ask if it was OK for the ASF to migrate ASF projects back to the
> ASF infrastructure

You said in process which means we weren't even made aware of the
process and absolutely you should ask. If I didn't say anything would
anyone have mentioned to us that issues were being moved.

Right now the Maven JIRA install sits on a rackspace box sitting atop a
virtually bomb-proof connection, attended by the most competent support
and service people that exist. We've never had a problem and we have
ample warning about anything that might even remotely affect the use of
the box. The box is monitored 24/7 and I don't think it has ever gone
down. I have not had the same experience at Apache.

Aside from Brian who is the penultimate sysadmin, amazingly efficient,
informative and helpful I have not found this with others. People either
don't even answer my questions, it takes a long time to even find anyone
who can (my particular problems being on Nagoya help.

Without even asking I am sure the rest of the Maven PMC would agree that
any move in haste is not wise. It only appeared to me that 'in process'
meant on step away from a fait accompli whereby all our issues would
have been moved without any discussion. I am just making sure there is a
discussion and that it is clear that the JIRA installation here is in no
way, shape, or form to be used as the official place to register issues
until we are satisfied there is no risk.

Are you making the assertion that there is no need to ask about an issue
which concerns our project? That you could move our issues without our
permission? That's what it sounds like to me and that is entirely
unacceptable.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: *** HEADS UP *** JIRA MOVING

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jason,

The notice was a heads up.  We have no intention of migrating the ASF
projects from codehaus until the Jira installation and migration is stable,
and at the moment, there remain issues.  As a point of interest, the Maven
Roadmap is one of the issues.  We have submitted a problem report to
Atlassian.  Nothing will migrate until those issues are resolved.  Projects
will be asked to review the installation before the final migration.

As for the rest of your note, the ASF installation of Jira has been
discussed.  Several projects want to, and are waiting to, use Jira.  All of
whom have to wait until we import the off-infrastructure Jira projects.

> We may want to move them over at some point but you
> can use the other projects as guinea pigs.

Sorry, but we cannot accommodate you on that score.  Not that it would be
such a bad thing, but Jira doesn't work that way.  There is no selective
import/export.  It is all or nothing.  The only way to migrate the projects
from codehaus is to start with a database dump.  Until we import the
codehaus projects, no one can use the ASF Jira because there is no way to
import afterwards.  If you are not aware, the export/import facility in Jira
does nothing more than create an XML representation of a basic relational
table dump.  Their XML schema does not, for example, contain an intelligent
representation of a user, project, or other entity.

At this point, I have a script to patch a database dump from codehaus so
that we can complete the migration via the web console.  We can do that
today, tomorrow, in November, whenever we get everything ironed out.  But
until we migrate the ASF projects currently on codehaus, no one else can use
Jira at the ASF.

> Why didn't you ask projects first

Ask what?  Ask if it was OK for the ASF to migrate ASF projects back to the
ASF infrastructure as a necessary precursor to allowing other ASF projects
to use a facility?  There are projects also want to use Jira, efforts were
made by Serge Knystautas and others to acquire Jira for the ASF, we have it
now, and in order for anyone to use it, we have to migrate the projects
already using it.

	--- Noel

Re: *** HEADS UP *** JIRA MOVING

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 16:25, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Guys,
>
> This is just a HEADS UP.  Apache has set up Jira on nagoya.  We are in the
> process of working with codehaus to migrate all of the ASF projects.

Please do not move the Maven issues to Apache.

We are currently happy with the install on Codehaus, it has been running
fine and not giving us any problems. We may want to move them over at
some point but you can use the other projects as guinea pigs. We are
close to a release and the roadmap is important and I'm not willing to
risk a move at this point.

Why didn't you ask projects first? Or is this a mandate from the Board?
Do we have any choice in matter?

> We're currently using a test load from codehaus.  Once we've ascertained
> that there are no kinks, we'll load the final live data from Bob, at which
> point he'll freeze the projects on codehaus to prevent updating the old
> repository.
>
> 	--- Noel

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: *** HEADS UP *** JIRA MOVING

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Is JIRA seen as a replacement to the current
> Bugzilla installation?  Has Scarab been
> dismissed as the proposed replacement?  Just
> curious.

Mulitple ASF projects are already using Jira instead of bugzilla.
Apparently, antipathy for bugzilla was high enough that they went
off-structure to codehaus.

Jira can replace bugzilla.  The notice went out, however, only to lists
already using Jira @ codehaus.  There are Jakarta Commons projects that fall
into that category, e.g., Attributes and Jelly.

	--- Noel

Re: *** HEADS UP *** JIRA MOVING

Posted by John Keyes <jb...@mac.com>.
Is JIRA seen as a replacement to the current
Bugzilla installation?  Has Scarab been
dismissed as the proposed replacement?  Just
curious.

-John K