Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2015/04/21 23:26:42 UTC

[FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Remove the interrim cache

This feature is poorly supported, and causes grief for cache development due to how it #ifdef’s with the system. There are plans for a new system that would make the concept of cache hierarchies generic. In the mean time, the suggestion is that if you need this, you use one of

	1) Assigning content to volumes and disks via our existing configs.

	2) Use Linux’s bcache feature, which comes with Linux 3.10 or later. I suspect e.g. ZFS has something similar.

	3) Use a third party system to implement the hybrid device (e.g. flash cache or EnhanceIO.

This is tracked in the Jira:

	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3541

as well as

	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3165

Unless we hear otherwise within 1 week, this will be implemented for 6.0.0. We will update the Wiki with the library version dependencies (see below).

— Leif

Re: [FEATURE REMOVAL v6.0.0] Remove the interrim cache

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 3:26 PM Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:

> This feature is poorly supported, and causes grief for cache development
> due to how it #ifdef’s with the system. There are plans for a new system
> that would make the concept of cache hierarchies generic. In the mean time,
> the suggestion is that if you need this, you use one of
>
>         1) Assigning content to volumes and disks via our existing configs.
>
>         2) Use Linux’s bcache feature, which comes with Linux 3.10 or
> later. I suspect e.g. ZFS has something similar.

Just want to point out that in addition to bcache there is dm-cache.

https://lwn.net/Articles/548348/

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 21, 2015, at 2:26 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> This feature is poorly supported, and causes grief for cache development due to how it #ifdef’s with the system. There are plans for a new system that would make the concept of cache hierarchies generic. In the mean time, the suggestion is that if you need this, you use one of
>
> 	1) Assigning content to volumes and disks via our existing configs.
>
> 	2) Use Linux’s bcache feature, which comes with Linux 3.10 or later. I suspect e.g. ZFS has something similar.
>
> 	3) Use a third party system to implement the hybrid device (e.g. flash cache or EnhanceIO.
>

> This is tracked in the Jira:
>
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3541
>
> as well as
>
> 	https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-3165
>

> Unless we hear otherwise within 1 week, this will be implemented for 6.0.0. We will update the Wiki with the library version dependencies (see below).

No objections have been made to this, so we will proceed with this proposal.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.