Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shashidhar Rampally <sh...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/11 19:59:04 UTC

301 permanent redirects in Apache + Tomcat using mod_jk

Hi guys,

I am trying to permanently redirect http://xyz.com to
http://www.xyz.com, which is hosted on Apache2 + Tomcat 5.5.9 with
mod_jk. I am trying to use .htaccess file to do so. So far my efforts
have been unsuccessful!

It looks like one the request is handed over to mod_jk before it gets
handled by mod_rewrite by Apache. What could I be doing wrong? Please
advise.

Thanks,
Shashi

My .htaccess file is as follows, which I've placed in
tomcat/webapps/xyz directory
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on
rewritecond %{http_host} ^xyz.com [nc]
rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.xyz.com/$1 [r=301,nc]

relevant portion of httpd.conf file...
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so
JkWorkersFile /etc/httpd/conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile /etc/httpd/logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel error
JkLogStampFormat "[%a %b %d %J:%M:%S %Y]"
JkMount /* ajp13

Relevant portion of tomcat/conf/server.xml file...
<Host name="xyz.com" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
    <Alias>www.xyz.com</Alias>
    <Context path="" docBase="xyz">
    </Context>
</Host>

Re: 301 permanent redirects in Apache + Tomcat using mod_jk

Posted by Shashidhar Rampally <sh...@gmail.com>.
I am sorry, I meant I do not know anything about mod_proxy.

Posted by Shashidhar Rampally <sh...@gmail.com>.
Francis,

RE: Kerberos based login for tomcat ( how?)

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Venkatesh Jayaraman (jvenky) [mailto:jvenky@cisco.com]
> Subject: Kerberos based login for tomcat ( how?)
>
> Any additional information is appreciated.

Tomcat doesn't have direct support for Kerberos, but you can use
Tomcat's JAASRealm with an appropriate LoginModule in conjunction with
various JRE packages:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/realm-howto.html#JAASRealm

Wendy S has some useful how-tos here:
http://wiki.wsmoak.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TomcatKerberos

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Kerberos based login for tomcat ( how?)

Posted by "Venkatesh Jayaraman (jvenky)" <jv...@cisco.com>.
Added Subject ...;D

Any additional information is appreciated.

http://www.nabble.com/Kerberos-login-for-Tomcat-to9733594.html

How do we support  Kerberos based login for tomcat. Do we have any
configuration to enable it?

Thanks
-Venky

Re: 301 permanent redirects in Apache + Tomcat using mod_jk

Posted by Francis Galiegue <fg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shashidhar Rampally <sh...@gmail.com>.
Francis,

Posted by Francis Galiegue <fg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shashidhar Rampally <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the quick reply, Francis!

My httpd.conf file doesn't have a single VirtualHost defined because I
am using mod_jk to forward all the requests to Tomcat. Otherwise I
understand how your solution would have worked. :)

I have alternate solution that involves changing Tomcat's server.xml
(which I've outlined below). However, its not as clean as using
mod_rewrite.

Thanks,
Shashi

Change tomcat/conf/server.xml as follows....
<Host name="xyz.com" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
   <Context path="" docBase="xyzredirect">
   </Context>
</Host>

<Host name="www.xyz.com" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true" xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
   <Context path="" docBase="wwwxyz">
   </Context>
</Host>

Put following code in webapps/xyzredirect/index.jsp
<%
	//send HTTP 301 status code to browser
	response.setStatus(response.SC_MOVED_PERMANENTLY);

	//send user to new location
	response.setHeader("Location", "http://www.xyz.com");
%>

Posted by Francis Galiegue <fg...@gmail.com>.