Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Oliver Burn <ol...@puppycrawl.com> on 2002/04/24 03:38:36 UTC

Chainsaw issues

Hi,

I have been receiving a number of help requests with Chainsaw. This email is
to share the information with others who may come across the problems.

Firstly, it is not possible to use the previous versions of Chainsaw with
log4j 1.2. By previous versions, I mean the distributions that are obtained
from SourceForge.. This is because previous versions of Chainsaw were build
with log4j 1.1.3. For log4j 1.2, use the version of Chainsaw that comes in the
log4j rc1 bundle.

Secondly, if you run Chainsaw without the XML parser classes in your
classpath, you get an error similar to:

    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/xml/sax/ContentHandler
            at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.Main.<init>(Main.java:78)
            at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.Main.main(Main.java:207)

I have just put a fix into CVS to make Chainsaw display a warning and keep
running. Chainsaw will work, but you are unable to load events from an XML
file.

Regards,
Oliver

Re: Chainsaw issues

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Oliver,

Where would you like to put this information? In the package.html file for
chainsaw perhaps?

At 11:38 24.04.2002 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have been receiving a number of help requests with Chainsaw. This email is
>to share the information with others who may come across the problems.
>
>Firstly, it is not possible to use the previous versions of Chainsaw with
>log4j 1.2. By previous versions, I mean the distributions that are obtained
>from SourceForge.. This is because previous versions of Chainsaw were build
>with log4j 1.1.3. For log4j 1.2, use the version of Chainsaw that comes in the
>log4j rc1 bundle.
>
>Secondly, if you run Chainsaw without the XML parser classes in your
>classpath, you get an error similar to:
>
>     java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/xml/sax/ContentHandler
>             at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.Main.<init>(Main.java:78)
>             at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.Main.main(Main.java:207)
>
>I have just put a fix into CVS to make Chainsaw display a warning and keep
>running. Chainsaw will work, but you are unable to load events from an XML
>file.
>
>Regards,
>Oliver
>
>--