Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2004/03/22 15:41:02 UTC

struts-workflow (Re: OT: Struts JSR?)

>1:There is no overlap as there does not seem to be any development
>going on about WorkFlow area in struts.

I think you are correct; people seem to be gravitating to struts-workflow.

>2:While brousing through struts-dev archive, I came aross many
>threads where the topic of a workflow like concept was discussed.But
>nobody seems to have taken this up any further,apart from a mail
>where in craig has mentioned that he would like to implement a
>workflow engine where the scriptign languages may be used to define
>the workflow.he has also mentioned using jelly for the same.
>
>But for me, the struts-workflow is more like a wizard
>implementation,not a real workflow processing engine.SO I am still
>not clear where jelly like packages may help.But may be I am just
>being naive.

I think it's true that in a wizard scenario, scripting is less likely
to be needed.  Insofar as one would want to use scripting, I'd
probably advocate for a BSF implementation rather than Jelly, so that
people can script in any language they want.  (Well, actually, I
don't think there's a Jelly BSF engine, but I don't think that many
people want to script in Jelly either.)

>3:The mention of the commons chainning for integrating expernal
>packages like workflow so that the processing can be intercepted at
>perticular points and customised.This soundds very interesting
>concept and very suitable for the workflow requirement.I have not
>invested much time into this perticular aspect but plan to do so.And
>I also have a feeling that the future direction for the workflow
>extension shuld be to move towards the usage of the commons
>chainning package.

I haven't come up to speed on struts-workflow, although I've been
wanting to for a while.  I remember that Matthias was one of the
people who really wanted to see a composable request processing
chain, since right now Struts-Workflow has to extend
RequestProcessor.  It seems likely that the fit will be pretty
natural.

>So this leaves me where I started.Very unclear about the direction
>the struts is going to take in this regard.And very unclear about
>how to plan the next major enhancement for the extension.

I'm not sure which of the above you'd like to resolve to make more
planning.  I think (1) is a non-issue; (2) should be deferred until
someone has a use-case for it, and (3) -- well, we're going to work
on moving the commons-chain based request processor into the Struts
core shortly after we deal with migrating Struts to a TLP.  But it
works enough right now that you could probably begin exploring using
it for Struts-Workflow.  I'm interested in both chain and workflow,
so you might be able to con me into helping out a little bit 8^)

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com