Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by haranbanjo <da...@vtin.it> on 2006/07/06 12:28:06 UTC

ServiceMix Beginner - Help me :-D

Hi,
i'm a beginner in a ESB / ServiceMix.
I have some "stupid" question.. becase, i'm a little bit confused about how
to use this gread product.
Basically i want to have an ESP and expose some WebServices to perform some
basic task.
For example:

1) add new order to my ecommerce database
2) retrive the list of the orders

So i must create a WS that accept a "new order" request, and then permform
some operation... for example, do some sanity check on data received and
subsequently write data to db.
In the distribution of ServiceMix i have found "soap-binding" example, so
now i'm able to expose my WS.. but then... how i can send "normalized
message" over the NMR? In fact, i want to have a separate service for write
data on the db... so i want to post a new message in my ESB in order to
notify (asycronously) other service that they must do some  task.
How i can do this?

Thanks
Davide

Sent from the ServiceMix - User forum at Nabble.com.

Re: ServiceMix Beginner - Help me :-D

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/12/06, mohan vamsi <va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Bruce,
> I have added a page in the wiki
> http://goopen.org/confluence/display/SM/Understanding+the+%27soap-binding%27+example<http://goopen.org/confluence/display/SM/Understanding+the+%2527soap-binding%2527+example>
> I was not able to reduce the size of the images in the page.
> I am new to working with wikis. Please therefore let me know any comments
> you have regarding the content added.

Vamsi, thank you for adding that to the wiki! It looks very good.

To include images in the page, just attach the image to the page (see
the Attachments tab while editing the page) and then refer to the
image name enclosed by exclamation points (!). See the wiki syntax
documentation for more information:

http://goopen.org/confluence/renderer/notationhelp.action?section=images

I'll go through it as soon as I can to help clean it up some.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
Apache ServiceMix - http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/
Castor - http://castor.org/

Re: ServiceMix Beginner - Help me :-D

Posted by mohan vamsi <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bruce,
I have added a page in the wiki
http://goopen.org/confluence/display/SM/Understanding+the+%27soap-binding%27+example<http://goopen.org/confluence/display/SM/Understanding+the+%2527soap-binding%2527+example>
I was not able to reduce the size of the images in the page.
I am new to working with wikis. Please therefore let me know any comments
you have regarding the content added.
Thanks,
Vamsi

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by haranbanjo <da...@vtin.it>.
Hi Mohan,
thanks for the response.
I appreciate a lot your help :-D
My doubt was "where my business logic can reside?"... directly in the
Service Engine or externally to the ESB?".
Reading your response, i think that an ESB should be used only as a messages
routing... so this is a great start point for me.
This is the same question i made to Bruce some minutes ago :-D
So now is more clear to me how to approch to ServiceMix.

Davide

P.S. thanks also for explanation of soap-binding example... is a great help
for me :-D

Posted by mohan vamsi <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi davide,
 <http://servicemix.blogspot.com/2006/07/understanding-soap-binding-httpwww.html>I
have add an entry to my blog (
http://servicemix.blogspot.com/2006/07/understanding-soap-binding-httpwww.html)
where i tried to explain what happens in the soap-binding examples once the
send button is clicked.
Bruce-- please let me know if my understanding is correct.
Please find my response to your queries inline with your mail.
On 7/6/06, haranbanjo <da...@vtin.it> wrote:

> Hi Vamsi,
> thanks for your response.
> I know that i'm a very novice :-)
> I try to explain better my doubts.
> I know that with JBI, i have a Binding Component and a Service Engine.
> The first is for connect to and from NMR through Delivery channels and the
> second implements the logic behind my service.
> But i haven't understand well how i can manage the flow of the normalized
> message.
> In the example that i found, there are "xbean.xml" file.. one for binding
> service unit and one for engine service unit.
> In the first i can see a "http:ednpoint" service definition named
> "demo:simple-service" that refer to a paricular "locationURI".
> In the second i can see a "jsr181:endpoint" service named as the first
> "demo:simple-service" that refer to a pojoClass that implements my
> webservice.
> So i think that now i have a simple WS that can be called...and
> potentially
> it can comunicate with NMR.
> But, now, i want to serialize the data that arrive (to my WS) to a
> database.
> I don't want to write the code directly in this WS to perform this task. I
> want to have a second service that is connected to NMR that receive a
> normalized message and than serialize it to database.
> So what is not clear to me is:
>
> 1) how i can send the message to NMR in the first service (WS) (maybe it
> is
> just on NMR??)

Please refer to step 3 in the link stated above

2) how i can create a new service that don't need to be exposed externaly
> with WS... it needs only to be notified when service 1 is called.

Are you asking for the approach to save the request to the database? If yes,
you can choose from many options( db helpers, dao etc) depending on your
design considerations.Either ways the ESB(servicemix) has nothing to do with
the db serialization approach you choose.ESB's job ends onces you WS
provider webservice is invoked by the request.

Thanks in advace for your help.
> Davide

Hope that helps!
Vamsi
PS There are no 'stupid' questions.Questions, however basic they are,
deserve to be answered!! So keep asking. :-)

Posted by haranbanjo <da...@vtin.it>.
Bruce :-D
Another question (if you have time for answer me).
Service engine is a JBI component that perform some business logic.
The documentation says... "data transformation, sophisticated routing,
message coordination facilites".
So, this "business logic" is referred exclusively to manage messages ... or
is "permitted" to have my personal business logic in it?
For example... i need to write some data on a Database as response of a
message.
Which is the best choise:

1) insert the code (connection / query execution) in my service engine. So
when my service is called the data are written to the database.

2) The ESB is only for routing messages. So i must create a remote service
(so not in the ESB) that perform the serialization on the database. In this
way i must create 2 service engine. The first receive the message (ex
"insert this new data in the database").... then this message is routed to
the 2 service over NMR, and subsequently transported to my remote service
that write data to the database.

Posted by haranbanjo <da...@vtin.it>.
Thanks bruce,
the pdf document is a great :-D
I try to study better JBI / ESP specifications.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/7/06, Philip Dodds <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Davide,
>
> There isn't a fixed answer to that question,  you could write your database
> persistent steps as a Service Engine,  however but nature the service engine
> tends to be a service that can be deployed more than once with a different
> configuration.

Yes, Philip is correct. Service Engines (SE) are containers that are
deployed for use by many services. The traditional example of a SE is
a BPEL engine. The BPEL engine is not an application but a container
that will execute business logic that is defined using the BPEL
language.

As a point of comparison, consider an EJB container in the J2EE world
where the EJB container accepts deployments of EJBs. The BPEL engine
is very similar to the EJB container. As a developer writing
applications, you wouldn't write your own EJB container, ergo you
wouldn't write your own SE. The only time that you need to consider
creating your own SE is if you have a some type of container that you
want to communicate *locally* with the NMR.

> If you want to implement business logic and persistence you might want to
> look at the JSR-181 Service Engine,  since this allows you to write simple
> POJO's to do the work you want without worrying about JBI message
> exchanges.

This is a good suggestion as well. Just remember that the JSR181
component's job is to generate WSDL on-the-fly to expose the POJOs as
web services. If you don't need to expose your POJOs as web services,
you might want to consider just writing POJOs using the ServiceMix
client API:

http://servicemix.org/site/client-api.html

The URL above contains some documentation on the use of the ServiceMix
client API from within POJOs. Here is another URL providing
information on this topic:

http://goopen.org/confluence/display/SM/POJO+support#POJOsupport-BeingevenmorePOJO

The thing I like about these example is that it's easier for
traditional Java software developers to understand because it's
actually writing code to develop an application vs. just developing
services and configuring them via a servicemix.xml file or bundling
them up as Service Assemblies.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. Explaining this
stuff helps to produce more content to help others understand it as
well.

Bruce
);'

Posted by Philip Dodds <ph...@gmail.com>.
Davide,

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/6/06, haranbanjo <da...@vtin.it> wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
> you are very kind :-D
> Thanks for your support.
> I will do as you have said.
>
> I'm already using a 3.0-M2 version of servicemix.
> Only one question.
> I haven't uderstand well the difference from using "servicemix.xml"
> descriptor instead of "xbean.xml".
> Both "file-binding" and "soap-binding" exmple suggest to lunch servicemix
> using this command:
>
> ..bin/serivicemix servicemix.xml
>
> But..  i have compiled with ANT the soap-binding example i have obtained a
> zip file (i think service assembly??)  that must be copied to
> servicemix/bin/deploy directory in order to have the service working. So...
> no servicemix.xml file :-)
>
> So my question is... the first method (servicemix.xml) is only for testing
> purpose? because... if i have a lot of service, this file can grow and
> became difficult to mantain.
> Instead, the second method, is usefull for have hot deploy and to have all
> service definded in a separated file.
> So.. in a production environment... what is the best choise?

The xbean.xml file is used to configure a service unit. Service units
are zip files that are packaged inside of a service assembly.

The reason that you're not seeing a servicemix.xml file with the
soap-binding example is because, as you correctly stated, the zip file
in the soap-binding example is a service assembly. Service assemblies
don't contain a servicemix.xml file because they have a jbi.xml which
work in conjunction with the xbean.xml files in the serivice units
inside the service assembly.

If you're interested to understand more about service units and
service assemblies, then you will need to read more about the JBI
spec. Here is a really great document on JBI:

https://open-esb.dev.java.net/public/whitepapers/JBIforSOI.pdf

Posted by haranbanjo <da...@vtin.it>.
Hi Bruce,
[...]

P.S. sorry for my stupid question... have patience with me :-D

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/6/06, mohan vamsi <va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Davide,
> I am not sure if i got you query completely. But wrt
>
> > now i'm able to expose my WS.. but then... how i can send "normalized
> > message" over the NMR?
> >
> To send a normalized message you need to have a component( a binding
> component) that will act as a consumer that will convert you protocol
> specific request to a normalized form and send it to your webservice thru a
> component that will act as a provider.
> I am not sure how much this helps given that you are a novice to JBI.
> Suggest you spend some time looking at the JBI specs.

Mohan is correct, you need to utilize the components provided by
ServiceMix to handle the data produced by your web services. However,
I don't suggest looking at the JBI spec just to understand how to
*use* ServiceMix. The JBI spec will help you understand the
innerworkings of the JBI container in ServiceMix but it won't help you
understand how to use ServiceMix.

My suggestion is to walk through some of the examples to understand
how to use ServiceMix. The first example I would suggest is the file
binding example which is documented here:

http://servicemix.org/site/file-binding.html

This example demonstrates how to use the FilePoller and the FileWriter
components that ship with ServiceMix. The documentation at the URL
above provides steps to walk through running the examples as well as a
diagram and description of each step in the flow defined in the
servicemix.xml file.

The servicemix.xml file is used to perform two tasks:

1) to configure the ServiceMix JBI container (using the <sm:container> element)

2) to configure and wire together components (using the
<sm:activationSpec> elements)

Here is the servicemix.xml file for the file binding example:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/servicemix/trunk/apache-servicemix/src/main/release/examples/file-binding/servicemix.xml?revision=415380

This configuration file defines a sort of flow for ServiceMix. It
tells the JBI container how to handle the data produced by certain
components and consumed by other components. The diagram noted above
shows a graphical depiction of the flow defined in the servicemix.xml
file which makes it a bit easier to understand.

In addition, the servicemix.xml file is actually a spring-beans
instance. So if you have any knowledge of putting together a
configuration for the Spring Framework (version 1.2), this knowledge
will help you understand the servicemix.xml file. If you aren't
familiar with the Spring Framework and it's spring-beans XML file, I
suggest reading about it here:

http://www.springframework.org/

One small note about the spring-beans file, ServiceMix actually uses
an extension to this provided by the Apache XBean project
(http://geronimo.apache.org/xbean/) which is why the servicemix.xml
file will look slightly different from a pure spring-beans file. But
there's no need to understand these details right now.

Once you understand the file binding example, I would suggest moving
on to other examples including the following:

the http-binding example: http://servicemix.org/site/http-binding.html
the jms-binding example: http://servicemix.org/site/jms-binding.html
the basic example: http://servicemix.org/site/basic.html

Only after understanding at least a couple of these would I suggest
moving on to the soap-binding example as it is less documented and a
bit more complex.

One last item to note, some of the documentation mentions ServiceMix
2.x as the latest release, but this version is actually quite old now.
I highly recommend using the lastest ServiceMix milestone release
(3.0-M2) which can be downloaded here:

http://people.apache.org/~gnodet/servicemix-3.0-M2-incubating/m2/org/apache/servicemix/apache-servicemix/3.0-M2-incubating/

Bruce
);'