Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by geoffmciver <ge...@team.telstraclear.co.nz> on 2009/05/04 01:09:53 UTC

Re: Options for preferring stability over reliability

I too am seeing an issue that activemq freezes completely, Im not sure if it
is under "heavy" load at the time.

I'm using it as a simple queue with one producer and one consumer.

Nothing appears in the logs and wrappers reports that it "couldn't ping JVM
for xx seconds" and restarts ActiveMQ.  But sometimes wrappers fails to
restart it and it just sits in a totally hung state.

There are no JVM crash logs or anything in the activemq.log that reports
anything.  Its just like it freezes in mid air.

I wouldn't imagine that the load is high as we one have 100's of messages a
second and not 1000's as quoted by many other ActiveMQ users.

With our usage profile it appears to run for 1 week and then crash...   It
smealt like a memory leak issue but I would have expected the JVM to report
the fact or have Heap space errors appearing some where.

is there any way to get more verbose logging or would you recommend another
course of action.

I don't want to hijack this thread, I just think that my issue could be the
same.

Thanks

Geoff McIver

Posted by geoffmciver <ge...@team.telstraclear.co.nz>.

MassDosage wrote:

> What is this wrapper you are talking about?
>
> I've never seen that "couldn't ping JVM" message so I'm not sure whether
> this is the same issue or not.

ActiveMQ gets "shipped" with Java wrappers http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org

its a way of daemonising java apps.  It forks the JVM process as its child
and keeps tabs on it.  If it dies it can restart it.

the underlying issue is the same I think as all wrappers does it restart
activemq.  it I run it without wrappers the result is the same as you...
the JVM just hangs with no errors to the logs or console.

Re: Options for preferring stability over reliability

Posted by MassDosage <ma...@gmail.com>.