Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by suchitha koneru <su...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/09 01:38:49 UTC

unable to launch a servlet using tomcat 5.5.20

Hello Tomcat Users ,
                     I am facing a problem starting  a servlet from tomcat's
web.xml . I am using Tomcat 5.5.20. The reason , I am placing this servlet
in tomcat's web.xml instead of a web app is because I want , this servlet to
start before  tomcat loads any of the web application contexts. I have java
1.5  on my system
The following is the code for the servlet.

*

public* *class* ActiveMQBrokerServlet *extends* GenericServlet{

BrokerService broker ;

*public* *void* init(ServletConfig config)* **throws* ServletException* *{

*try*{

broker = *new* BrokerService();

System.*out*.println("Starting ActiveMQ Broker Service...");

broker.addConnector(
"tcp://localhost:61616?trace=true&wireFormat.maxInactivityDuration=-1");

broker.start();

System.*out*.println("Active MQ Broker Started at local host port 61616");

}*catch*(Exception e){

e.printStackTrace();

}

 }

 *public* *void* destroy(){

*try*{

broker.stop();

System.*out*.println("Active MQ Broker Stopped at localhost port 61616");

}*catch*(Exception e){

*throw* *new* RuntimeException(e);

}

}

*public* *void* service(ServletRequest req , ServletResponse resp){

}

}

This servet is specified as follows in tomcat's conf/web.xml

<servlet>
        <servlet-name>activemqbroker</servlet-name>

        <servlet-class>
          com.cisco.cpnm.common.messaging.ActiveMQBrokerServlet
        </servlet-class>

        <load-on-startup>6</load-on-startup>
 </servlet>

For some reason , the servlet is not loaded , and I do not see any error
messages.

The servlet class file and the required jars are placed in
Tomcat/common/lib.

Please let me know, if Iam missing anything.

thanks,

Suchitha.

Re: unable to launch a servlet using tomcat 5.5.20

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.
You can put your initialization code in a ServletContextListener so it
is executed before any servlets are run.
--
Len

Posted by suchitha koneru <su...@gmail.com>.

RE: Deployment problem on tomcat

Posted by "Ersoy, Perihan" <Pe...@eu.sony.com>.
This fmt.tld is in WEB-INF/lib

Posted by suchitha koneru <su...@gmail.com>.

Re: slow response from tomcat

Posted by Richard Jones <ri...@imperial.ac.uk>.
Hi Peter,

>> From: Richard Jones [mailto:richard.d.jones@imperial.ac.uk]
>> It appears that after tomcat has been idle for some time, a first
>> request for a page or service can take longer than usual to load or
>> respond.  Our particular case is that we are running an application
>> under tomcat that offers some web services, and the calling client is
>> timing out before it gets a response.  The response /is/ eventually
>> forthcoming, but extremely delayed.
>
> I assume you've checked for paging traffic on the OS at that point,
> using vmstat, perfmon or $weapon_of_choice depending on your OS?

You assume wrong, but I'll try and get someone who understands that side
of things to help me take a look at it.  Are you suggesting that the
problem could be the tomcat allocated memory being written out to disk
after a period of inactivity?

Thanks for your help,

--
Richard
Richard Jones            | t: +44 (0)20 759 [48614 / 41815]

RE: slow response from tomcat

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Richard Jones [mailto:richard.d.jones@imperial.ac.uk]
> It appears that after tomcat has been idle for some time, a first
> request for a page or service can take longer than usual to load or
> respond.  Our particular case is that we are running an application
> under tomcat that offers some web services, and the calling client is
> timing out before it gets a response.  The response /is/ eventually
> forthcoming, but extremely delayed.

I assume you've checked for paging traffic on the OS at that point,
using vmstat, perfmon or $weapon_of_choice depending on your OS?

		- Peter

slow response from tomcat

Posted by Richard Jones <ri...@imperial.ac.uk>.
Hi Folks,

I wonder if someone could give me some advice on a potential problem we
are experiencing with tomcat.

It appears that after tomcat has been idle for some time, a first
request for a page or service can take longer than usual to load or
respond.  Our particular case is that we are running an application
under tomcat that offers some web services, and the calling client is
timing out before it gets a response.  The response /is/ eventually
forthcoming, but extremely delayed.

One possible cause that we're working on is that tomcat is unloading
from memory some cached information, when it has been idle for some
time, and the delay of this first request is caused by it picking back
up again.  Is this a likely scenario?  If not, does anyone have any
suggestions as to what might be happening?  If so, is there a way that I
can tell tomcat not to clear whatever caches it might have cleared?

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

Cheers,

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Unfortunately there  are a lot of developers who'd like to dictate the
load order of servlets.  The best answer I or any one else can offer is
don't do it.  It's not safe programming and all the servlets that depend
on it will sooner or later need to deal with the chance it isn't
available for some reason.

Can you offer some details of your use case?  Maybe there's an
alternative design you haven't considered.

--David