Posted to user@geode.apache.org by Bob Glithero <rg...@vmware.com> on 2020/03/19 22:12:00 UTC

2020 Apache Geode Summit - Call for Papers!

Do you have a great Apache Geode story to share?  Call for papers for the 2020 Apache Geode Summit is now open!

Speaking at Geode Summit is a great way to connect with hundreds of your peers, become more involved in the Geode community, and have a public platform for you to share your story of the future of the premier in-memory data platform.

Call for Papers

Submit your talks here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fHzogly2D0sU6DQVHJsY4tBi8NDRcPAYn4vCtbjVJKg/edit?usp=sharing

Target talk length is 40 min with Q&A.  For 2020, we are also considering 5-minute TED talk style presentations that we can aggregate into one session (hit reply if you’re interested).   We have a soft deadline of May 1 for submissions, because talks will begin being publicized in early June.  If you’re accepted, we’ll reach out for bios, headshots, etc.

If you’d like your talk to be considered as a SpringOne breakout, please tag it “Spring” in the spreadsheet link above.

We are looking for your most interesting, most informative, most advanced, and most generally applicable talks on Apache Geode and the tools, technologies, and techniques in the Geode ecosystem. Winning submissions will make it clear that you understand how to take your knowledge and experience and transfer it to Geode Summit attendees. For example:

  *   A deep dive into Geode features
  *   Patterns you have developed while using Geode
  *   Development techniques, libraries, and debugging techniques that have helped you build event-driven systems
  *   An experience report about the Geode-based system you’ve built, including takeaways that the audience can put into practice right away
  *   Beginner-level introductions to Geode
  *   Specific explanations of how Geode enabled you to build a solution unique to your industry, and applicable to others with similar use cases
  *   Examples of Geode with streaming, event-processing, asynchronous applications, or Kubernetes are especially welcome
  *   We especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to submit talks!

We’re looking for unique perspectives and thought-provoking discussions that will inform, challenge, and enlighten our attendees. So do your best to stand out by submitting relevant, engaging, creative, and entertaining proposals.  The SpringOne Platform site (spring.io) has other ideas for developing standout content.

Note:  due to COVID-19 outbreak, we may have to convert to a virtual conference.  We will continue to monitor and update.  As you plan your talk, please consider how it would work in a virtual format.

Cheers,

The Geode Summit Team

Re: 2020 Apache Geode Summit - Call for Papers!

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Paul,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback.  I know a few of the people at VMware in charge of the Geode Summit @ SpringOne and have shared your thoughts with them.

The Geode PMC doesn’t directly sponsor conference events.  We do collaborate with the sponsoring companies to ensure that the Geode brand is used correctly and that the voice of the PMC is present (see [1] for details).

As a PMC member and a big fan of this technology and the people building it, I’m in favor of more Geode events!  I know we do have a number of users in the EU region and perhaps the next ApacheCon EU would be a good place for you to submit a talk (the last one was in Berlin [2]).  Another option you could consider is hosting a meetup in London or starting a Geode User Group that meets regularly.

Finally, I’ll offer that we’re in the midst of several planet-wide crisis at the moment and perhaps we should explore virtual options rather than remaining solely focused on in-person events.  Anyone care to take this idea and run with it?

Anthony

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/events <https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/events>
[2] https://aceu19.apachecon.com <https://aceu19.apachecon.com/>

> On Mar 24, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Paul Perez <pa...@pymma.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Antony
>
> Pymma had the opportunity to lecture in 2017 at the Apache Geode conference in San Fransisco, and I "really" enjoyed it and kept a beautiful memory.
> I would like to provide my feedback and suggest some improvements to the event.
> Pymma was not present in 2018 and 2019 at the SpringOne, and I hope that lecturer's welcome and account have been improved.
>
> Pymma is a small company and is neither IBM, VMWare nor one of the fame IT companies.
>
> Based in London, we evaluated the cost of the lecture for the consultant between 3500 to 5000 € in expenses and travel, if the consultant stays 2-3 days in SF. To this amount, you can add the value of the time the consultant is out of her/his office.
> So, the cost of the lecture is high for a small company, and in 2017, Pivotal refused any kind of sponsoring or financial help.
> Anyway,  everyone can evaluate if going to the Spring One is worth or not for him/her.
>
> That year, lecturer's welcome was bad and unorganized. There were no Pivotal people to welcome you at the reception, no one knew the room where your lecture took place. I found the right room 10 min before my speech, even if I came two hours before.
> We also tried to get invitations for two customers leaving in Canada (just for the lecture, not the exhibition). Our request was refused.
> In 2017, it seemed that Pivotal thought that the honour to be at the SpringOne compensated the lack of lecturer's welcome and consideration (before and after the talk) .
>
> Back in London, I had a bad feeling about the effort made by my company and the feedback of Pivotal. Maybe the financial and time efforts were too high for a small company such as Pymma.
>
> For many years,  we pushed for local Apache Geode conferences in Europa, Asia, Africa, etc. but never get any result.
>
> I provide this feedback to promote local exhibitions that could make easy the involvement of numerous small companies to the Geode's conferences without an expensive cost for them.
>
> I hope the feedback could be useful to promote local Geode conferences.
>
> Best regards
>
> Paul Perez Chief Architect
> Pymma Consulting

We’re looking for unique perspectives and thought-provoking discussions that will inform, challenge, and enlighten our attendees. So do your best to stand out by submitting relevant, engaging, creative, and entertaining proposals.  The SpringOne Platform site ( <http://spring.io/> spring.io) has other ideas for developing standout content.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.