Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2006/02/02 03:00:18 UTC

License issues with commonj

We have a patch with an implementation of the commonj timer spec.
I'd like to get this into svn soon.  One issue is straightening out
the license provisions for the api and implementations.  AFAICT
commonj is a joint effort of BEA and IBM.

The bea website discussing commonj is:
http://dev2dev.bea.com/wlplatform/commonj/twm.html

After the download links it states:

This specification is being made available on an RF basis (as
detailed in the Copyright notice of the specification); therefore,
BEA does not require an implementation license. If you prefer,
however, you may request a license from BEA to implement the
specification.

The specification pdf says:

Fwd: License issues with commonj

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I sent this earlier with some non-text inclusions, and haven't seen
it get through.  I'm trying again typing out some of the quoted pdf
contents.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>
> Date: February 1, 2006 6:00:18 PM PST
> To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
> Subject: License issues with commonj
>
> We have a patch with an implementation of the commonj timer spec.
> I'd like to get this into svn soon.  One issue is straightening out
> the license provisions for the api and implementations.  AFAICT
> commonj is a joint effort of BEA and IBM.
>
> The bea website discussing commonj is:
> http://dev2dev.bea.com/wlplatform/commonj/twm.html
>
> After the download links it states:
>
> This specification is being made available on an RF basis (as
> detailed in the Copyright notice of the specification); therefore,
> BEA does not require an implementation license. If you prefer,
> however, you may request a license from BEA to implement the
> specification.
>
> The specification pdf says:

This specification may change before final release and you are
cautioned against relying on the content of this specification. IBM
and BEA  are currently soliciting your contributions and suggestions.
Licenses are available for the purposes of feedback and (optionally)
for implementation.

> and earlier:

IBM and BEA (collectively, the "Authors") agree to grant you a
royalty-free license, under reasonable, non-discriminatory terms and
conditions to patents that they deem necessary to implement the Timer
and Work Manager for Application Servers Specification.

Re: License issues with commonj

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
My personal preference is to have all of our spec APIs available in
source form from the geronimo-specs tree, so I'd much rather just
type them in.

-dain

Posted by Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
I actually did read the spec and type in the classes once.  (I think it
was for the timer spec...?)

I believe that if we do that, we have no problems because of the
copyright notice in the spec.

I've also discussed this issue regarding the lack of any recognizable
license for their code w/ BEA and IBM, and they have made it very clear
that they will provide one if needed.

So the question is, type or wait for license?  I say "type"

geir