Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Lorenzo Arcaini <lo...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/22 22:55:32 UTC

Question about Maven, Eclipse WTP and war overlay

Hello everyone,

I have multiple maven projects sharing some code via a war overlay and
would like to use WTP in Eclipse to deploy my webapps and benefit from
the productivity gain it brings to the dev teams.
However, due to my war overlay, WTP seems unable to work properly as
my webapps depends on it.
My projects have war and ear packaging, but having only the war
projects working would already be a good thing.
Target application server is JOnAS 4.8.6, but then again, if it is
working with a good old tomcat it should be good enough.

I think I'm not the only one using war overlay and willing to use WTP
at the same time, so my question is : how are you dealing with this /
how should I proceed to make things work ?

Regards,

Lorenzo Arcaini
OCTO Technology - larcaini AT octo DOT com
www.octo.com | blog.octo.com

Re: Question about Maven, Eclipse WTP and war overlay

Posted by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com>.
Not sure WTP itself supports this... If I needed to share classes I would
most likely store shared code in a jar-packaged module and define it as a
dependency (but that's a no brainer I guess).
As for resources you could use another project and use dependency plugin to
get the resources to get them into the war.

But it will still be ugly...

Otherwise you would probably need to be able to exclude the shared war from
the workspace so that WTP doesn't get confused (and project being deployed
wouldn't have dependency on the excluded war in order not to confuse WTP).
Using m2eclipse and custom builder you can enable specific goals in eclipse
so that it automatically merges the war's (but might be a bit slow) so that
you dont have to manually merge 2 projects each time...

But this is just a theory.

Siarhei

Re: [m2eclipse-user] Re: Question about Maven, Eclipse WTP and war overlay

Posted by Rémy Sanlaville <re...@gmail.com>.

> An issue exists for supporting war overlays :
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE-597
>
> Please vote for this issue.

Done !
In fact, this feature is important and it's not just for war overlay but
also for filtering...

Rémy

Re: [m2eclipse-user] Re: Question about Maven, Eclipse WTP and war overlay

Posted by Bouiaw <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.