Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nicolas Barrera <nb...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/23 14:20:52 UTC

[maven-release-plugin] RELEASE version keyword replacement

What do you think of this bug  I started?

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-399

There I propose to resolve the real versions of parent and dependencies
declared with the RELEASE keyword as version.

This is because if not, my releases are left with the RELEASE keyword on a
dependency version, and it can be broken by a backward-INcompatible new
version of the dependency.

I can bare that the SNAPSHOT version got broke by a backward-incompatible
new version of the dependency, but not a release version.

I decided to use the RELEASE version keyword because i got a three level
parent pom hierarchy where in the top-most i define the versions for all
external-libraries used, the problem on using fixed version numbers instead
of the RELEASE keyword is that every time I add a dependency I need to make
a new release of the top-most parent pom because I 've modified it but I
also need to make new releases of the other two intermediate level parent
poms without any change other than parent version numbers!.

I didn't see much talking about this so maybe everybody is finding another
solution for this problem or avoiding this problem in another way..., please
share your experiences.

cheers!