Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Mihai Budiu <mb...@gmail.com> on 2024/02/27 01:57:52 UTC

Simulataneous changes to Avatica and Calcite

Hello,

I have submitted a fix to Avatica improving the output of times and timestamps with precision, for this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-6282 (Avatica ignores time precision when returning TIME results)

However, fixing this issue makes several Calcite tests fail, including some Quidem tests.
I can submit a PR on the Calcite side, but the two PRs have to be merged at the same time.
I have seen conditional code in Java based on the avatica version, but I don't know what to do about Quidem tests.
Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thank you,
Mihai

Re: Simulataneous changes to Avatica and Calcite

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
In https://github.com/apache/calcite/commit/614b4350f558a4fabaafc06fef9689ec4c267994
you'll see the Stamatis upgraded Avatica and removed the "!if
(fixed.calcite2776) {" wrapper in a Quidem test. That is a reasonably
clean way to comment out tests pending a bug fix or an upgrade.

Calcite release 1.37 is currently being discussed. I guess you'll want
to make an Avatica release first. If so, you'll need an Avatica RM,
and a Jira case for each release (one depending on the other).

Julian

Posted by Mihai Budiu <mb...@gmail.com>.
The expected test output changes.
But we don't know exactly when calcite moves to the next avatica version, so I shouldn't disable the quidem tests until the last moment...

Posted by Tanner Clary <ta...@google.com.INVALID>.