Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Gray, Jonathan" <Jo...@comcast.com.INVALID> on 2022/01/06 18:00:31 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: 6.1.0 Planning

With 6.1.0 should API 4.0 be considered stable or is there still outstanding work in flight?

Jonathan G

From: Zach Hoffman <zr...@apache.org>
Date: Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 10:09 AM
To: dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org <de...@trafficcontrol.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: 6.1.0 Planning
If there's anything anyone else wants included in 6.1.0, let's try to
get it in before the expected 6.1.0 release branch cut date
2021-01-11.

-Zach

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: 6.1.0 Planning

Posted by Rawlin Peters <ra...@apache.org>.
We don't necessarily need an unstable API v5 in order to declare API
v4 stable. We could declare v4 stable, ditch v3 and below, and never
introduce a v5. One of the major reasons behind having an unstable API
version in the first place is to avoid
yet-another-major-TO-API-version to maintain. If we know of breaking
changes coming down the pipeline, we should hold off on stabilizing
until we can get those in. Once we don't have any absolutely necessary
breaking changes in the pipeline, we should stabilize. As far as I
know, that's just Layered Profiles right now (as Jeremy said). There
are definitely more things we COULD break to improve the API, but I'm
not sure those are a SHOULD at this point.

Basically, what we need to avoid is:
1) all new features requiring a new major TO API version -- we should
prefer non-breaking if possible
2) fragmenting breaking changes across multiple API versions -- we
should batch breaking changes into the same API version

- Rawlin

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: 6.1.0 Planning

Posted by Zach Hoffman <zr...@apache.org>.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: 6.1.0 Planning