Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/03/10 21:29:20 UTC

WSDL 2.0 Implementations and Interop Event

I attended a W3C telecon on Thursday to discuss the status of
implementations and plan an interop event. The focus of Woden is the WSDL
2.0 component model. However, to test interop, we need to get Woden
integrated into Axis 2.

Glen Daniels was also on the call and has some ideas about how to proceed.
Glen will be posting a note to the Woden and Axis2 lists. (Maybe he's
travelling?) However, there is another W3C telecon scheduled for next
Thursday, so we need to get the discussion started asap. I'd like to
provide some feedback to the W3C on when Apache would be able to test
interop.

The interop scenarios are to generate client and server code from some
common WSDL 2.0 documents, and then test the interop matrix between
implementations, e.g. client A talking to service B. W3C wants at least 2
independent implementations, of which Woden+Axis2 is one.

In order to proceed we need to weld a Woden front end onto the Axis2 code
generators. Glen will discuss the approaches. Here are a couple:

1. Use Woden to read WSDL 2.0 and build a component model instance. Then
construct a WOM instance from that and past it into the code generators.
Clearly this restricts what can be generated since WOM may not support
WSDL 2.0 goodies like Interface extension.

2. Replace the WOM with the Woden component model. We need to drive the
code generation from the component model then. Glen thought we'd need to
extend the Woden component model to support WSDL 1.1 capabilities like
SOAP encoding.

I think in order to make progress, some Woden developers will have to help
with the integration. Anyone interested and available?

We need to come up with a plan and give W3C a date when we could
participate in an interop event. The first event might just be a planning
session to establish the ground rules.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

Re: WSDL 2.0 Implementations and Interop Event

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com>.
John,

I agree. I think WSDL 2.0 is extensible enough to handle SOAP Encoding as
an extension.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

John Kaputin <KA...@uk.ibm.com>
03/13/2006 11:03 AM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: WSDL 2.0 Implementations and Interop Event

Arthur,
I think I prefer option 2, although I have not yet done any investigation
of this integration. I agree that woden developers need to help with this
and will review some of the outstanding work items for woden to determine
best use of my time.  I think the component model extension mechansim I
used for the soap extensions and intend to use for the http extensions can
also be used to support the wsdl 1.1 capabilities you mention.

John Kaputin

             Arthur Ryman
             <ryman@ca.ibm.com

                                       woden-dev@ws.apache.org
             10/03/2006 20:29                                           cc

                                                                   Subject

             Please respond to         WSDL 2.0 Implementations and
             woden-dev@ws.apac         Interop Event
                  he.org