Posted to dev@rocketmq.apache.org by 季俊涛 <31...@zju.edu.cn> on 2022/06/20 07:12:12 UTC

[DISCUSS][RIP-42]Support Timing Messages with Arbitrary Time Delay

Hi, RocketMQ Community:

Currently, RocketMQ's delay message feature only supports delayed delivery for specific time levels. Such delay message feature(only support specific levels of delay time) is no longer enough to support the flexible usage of rocketmq. Therefore, we need a delay message feature that supports arbitrary delay time. So I would like to start an email thread to discuss RIP-42 Support Timing Messages with Arbitrary Time Delay.

I have written my proposal and you can click on the link below:
Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D6XWwY39p531c2aVi5HQll9iwzTUNT1haUFHqMoRkT0/edit?usp=sharing
Shimo:https://shimo.im/docs/gXqme9PKKpIeD7qo/

If you have any questions or suggestions, please reply to this email or comment on the proposal.

Thanks
Juntao Ji

Re: [DISCUSS][RIP-42]Support Timing Messages with Arbitrary Time Delay

Posted by Zhanhui Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Is it possible to implement hierarchical timing wheels solution:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~nahum/w6998/papers/sosp87-timing-wheels.pdf
True that your proposal is relatively easy to implement, but it introduces
too many random reads. Operating systems normally read data in pages(at
least 4k) with potential read-ahead, making page cache pollution more
serious.

The hierarchical timing wheels solution, however, is capable of making
sequential reads/writes, thus much more performant.  As a matter of fact,
Aache Kafka has already implemented this solution:
https://www.confluent.io/blog/apache-kafka-purgatory-hierarchical-timing-wheels/
According
to their description, the engineer complexity is contained and worthwhile.

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.

Posted by dongeforever <do...@apache.org>.
Good Job.