Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2012/06/07 23:51:26 UTC

Merging some improvements to branch-2

Hi all,

I plan to merge the following JIRAs to branch-2 this week unless there
are any objections:

"Direct read" optimization:

6e51b33 HADOOP-8135. Add ByteBufferReadable interface to
FSDataInputStream. Contributed by Henry Robinson.
4418682 HADOOP-8244. Improve comments on ByteBufferReadable.read.
Contributed by Henry Robinson.
c66f982 HDFS-2834. Add a ByteBuffer-based read API to DFSInputStream.
Contributed by Henry Robinson.
467acd1 HDFS-3110. Use directRead API to reduce the number of buffer
copies in libhdfs. Contributed by Henry Robinson.

These improvements give a substantial savings in CPU to applications
using libhdfs, and have some potential for usage in apps like HBase
and MR as well.

MiniDFSClusterManager:
bfa5c0a HDFS-3167. CLI-based driver for MiniDFSCluster. Contributed by
Henry Robinson.
21dfa6a HDFS-3235. MiniDFSClusterManager doesn't correctly support
-format option. Contributed by Henry Robinson.

These test-only improvements make it easier to construct system tests
against realistic pseudo-distributed clusters.

All of the above patches have been baking in trunk for quite some time.

Thanks
-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Merging some improvements to branch-2

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks all, I merged these as well as HDFS-3243 and HDFS-3514, some
small test fixes I forgot to add to my original list. Hopefully I got
all the CHANGES.txt, etc, right :)

-Todd

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
+1

I've reviewed several of these patches and think they should be fine to go
into branch-2.

--
Aaron T. Myers