Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Barry Briggs <Ba...@WheelHouse.com> on 2001/05/15 21:20:12 UTC

Synchronous/asynchronous

I have a possibly very naive question. I haven't seen anything in any of the
specs about SOAP calls being sync or async i.e. blocking or not. Is it
always synchronous? Is there a discussion of this somewhere that I missed?

Thanks
Barry

Re: Synchronous/asynchronous

Posted by "Michael J. Hudson" <mh...@blueprinttech.com>.
I would assume that this would depend on your transport protocol.  The
spec defaults using HTTP... which (correct me if I'm wrong) is a
request/response protocol... thus synchronous.

But, if you want... you can implement SOAP with an asynchronous
protocol.

Personally... I see SOAP as just the XML schema with some hints on how
to implement it using the HTTP protocol.  But, being just an XML schema
you can use it however you want.  And it was this kind of simplicity
and flexibility that I think the originators wanted.

Barry Briggs wrote:

> I have a possibly very naive question. I haven't seen anything in any of the
> specs about SOAP calls being sync or async i.e. blocking or not. Is it
> always synchronous? Is there a discussion of this somewhere that I missed?
>
> Thanks
> Barry

-------------------------------------
Michael J. Hudson
Software/Framework Engineer
mhudson@blueprinttech.com

cell-phone: 703.362.8039
voice-mail: 703.827.0638 ext. 4786
fax: 703.734.0987

Blueprint Technologies
"Great software starts with great architecture"
http://www.blueprinttech.com

Re: Synchronous/asynchronous

Posted by "Michael J. Hudson" <mh...@blueprinttech.com>.