Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/12/12 03:06:46 UTC

Should we vote on Xalan JIRA issues?

Dear Xalan user:

There are quite a few open issues against Xalan-J, about 460 right now and
it has been holding steady for about 6 months.

It would be nice if the number open issues were going down, but  this isn't
happening (any volunteers to fix bugs?).

There was some discussion at today's JIRA teleconference to see if users
would vote on JIRA issues and that the committers would use that as
additional input in deciding which bugs we should tackle first.

The Xalan community hasn't had a history of using the votes to influence
which bugs to fix, but maybe we should. There are 5 priorities. Right now
there are this many of each priority:
blocker -  5
critical - 15
major - 347
minor - 73
trivial -  3

It is hard to tell which one bothers the most users. Perhaps a critial bug
is more important to users than any of the blockers, and if users voted on
issues we'd know better.

Your thoughts please.

- Brian Minchau
  Apache Xalan