Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Igor Bondarenko <je...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/08 10:50:57 UTC

[allura:tickets] Re: #7873 Git branch & tag speedups

I can't see the attachments. Did you forget to add those? :)

---

** [tickets:#7873] Git branch & tag speedups**

**Status:** review
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Labels:** performance sf-current sf-4
**Created:** Fri Apr 17, 2015 09:23 PM UTC by Dave Brondsema
**Last Updated:** Fri Jun 05, 2015 07:17 PM UTC
**Owner:** Heith Seewald

I saw that git pages on forge-allura.apache.org were slow, so I looked at stats.log and saw that the sidebar was the slowest part.  I did some additional digging and found 2 specific areas for improvement:

* in `git_main.py` change `default_branch_name` to a `@LazyProperty` since it is called many times inside a loop in `RepositoryApp.sidebar_menu`
* Since `sidebar_menu` only requests a certain number of branches, pass that "limit" all the way through to `git_repo.py`'s `branches` method so that `is_valid()` is only called a minimum number of times needed.
    * make sure the default branch logic to put it at the top of the list still works (e.g. always put it at the top first)

In addition to those changes, generalize and apply the same approach to the tags.  And also check ForgeHg to see if mercurial can benefit the same way.

---

Sent from forge-allura.apache.org because dev@allura.apache.org is subscribed to https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/

[allura:tickets] Re: #7873 Git branch & tag speedups