Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chuck Carson <rh...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/23 16:49:08 UTC

API docs for Mysql JDBC Driver?

Does anyone know where I can find a complete set of API docs for the JConnect Driver 3.x? The docs
on the site are lacking and only have simple examples on how to do SELECT's. I am looking for a
complete method list or something more detailed.

Thanks for any info,
rhugga

Re: API docs for Mysql JDBC Driver?

Posted by Mark Matthews <ma...@mysql.com>.

Mike Curwen wrote:
> Ok,  those docs are way out of date. If you're using connectorj 3, those
> docs would only confuse the matter.
>
> The current docos on the jconnector portion of the mysql.com website contain
> all the latest info on "how much of the spec" the jconnector drivers
> implement. The JavaDoc for the drivers themselves (and it's hard to see when
> you'd want those, unless you intend to bypass java.sql) you can create from
> the java source files that you get when you download the "binaries + source"
> downloads from mysql.com  (or don't bother generating them, and just read
> them from the *.java files).
>
> If you're asking yourself: "how do I do SQL with jconnector drivers", then I
> think what you actually want to look into is "how do I use the java.sql
> classes to do SQL", for which there is a healthy amount of JavaDoc included
> with the JDK, and a JDBC tutorial on java.sun.com.  You should not be
> directly using the jconnector classes for doing SQL.

The documentation for the JDBC driver at MySQL.com shows you any MySQL
_specific_ information. It is assumed that you either know JDBC or know
where to look for the information (I believe it even has some pointers
in the docs). There are plenty of documentation artifacts for JDBC
(books, tutorials, apidocs, etc), there's no reason for us to re-invent
the wheel there.

We implement the _standard_, there are very few 'extensions' to the JDBC
standard in the Connector/J docs...Where there are, they're documented.

	-Mark
- --
Mr. Mark Matthews
MySQL AB, Software Development Manager, J2EE and Windows Platforms
Office: +1 708 332 0507
www.mysql.com

MySQL Guide to Lower TCO
http://www.mysql.com/it-resources/white-papers/tco.php

RE: API docs for Mysql JDBC Driver?

Posted by Mike Curwen <g_...@globallyboundless.com>.

Posted by John Najarian <j-...@earthlink.net>.

RE: Installing the MySql jdbc driver on XP?

Posted by John Najarian <j-...@earthlink.net>.
Thanks Filip, I wanted to configure it to use a Driver Manager also.

What I've been having a ton of trouble with is configuring Eclipse.
I've downloaded some plugins but the 2nd one I ried to install should
have been the 3rd.  After knocking that around for a while I found a
site which had the missing 2nd plugin and how to...  But downloading
plugin is taking forever.

Posted by John Najarian <j-...@earthlink.net>.
Hi Chuck,

   Here is another link you might find useful.
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/TSG/manuals/databases/mysql/jdbc/apidoc/