Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/11/10 07:54:43 UTC

Cocoon distribution + Resolver Resolution ?

Hi,

I was wondering if there has been any resolution with the licensing of
resolver.jar. It is still in the jakarta-avalon/tools/lib/ directory and I am
wondering if cocoon has been updated so that it is not in their CVS yet? If
so can we propogate the changes to Avalon. Was there any new info regarding
this?

Also is there a distribution of Cocoon that we can point users to if they
want to generate docs in some of the sub-projects. ie I would like to say
something like download distribution X and make following steps and then you
can build docs for the avalon projects.

The main reason for this is that last time we did releases I got a lot of
complaints that the src packages included the tools/* subdirectory which took
up about 5-6 MB.

So if someone could describe the process required to do that from a cocoon
distribution and then add it to the jakarta-avalon-phoenix/BUILDING.txt
document that would be great ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Cocoon distribution + Resolver Resolution ?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there has been any resolution with the licensing of
> resolver.jar.

No, but I'll be starting the process of having it donated under
xml.apache.org ASAP.

> It is still in the jakarta-avalon/tools/lib/ directory and I am
> wondering if cocoon has been updated so that it is not in their CVS yet? If
> so can we propogate the changes to Avalon. Was there any new info regarding
> this?

I had to push jfor donation for FOP and dbXML donation as new
subproject, then we had to deal with the rejection of the ebXML proposal
and took away some time.

Anyway, Norman, in the meanwhile, release the source under a BSD-like
license (there is a strange clause about not being usable in a nuclear
facility, but that should not cause compatibility problems with our
license, but only place additional restriction on the users).

This means you can't do entity resolutions if you use avalon to control
you nuclear site, but java doesn't allow that anyway, so there should be
no real limitations.

This means, you can ship the updated licensed code even today!

> Also is there a distribution of Cocoon that we can point users to if they
> want to generate docs in some of the sub-projects. ie I would like to say
> something like download distribution X and make following steps and then you
> can build docs for the avalon projects.

The latest should work out of the box (2.0rc2)

> The main reason for this is that last time we did releases I got a lot of
> complaints that the src packages included the tools/* subdirectory which took
> up about 5-6 MB.

yeah, no kidding.

> So if someone could describe the process required to do that from a cocoon
> distribution and then add it to the jakarta-avalon-phoenix/BUILDING.txt
> document that would be great ;)
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: Cocoon distribution + Resolver Resolution ?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Hi,

as far as I known, there is no new info regarding the resolver.jar.
Cocoon still includes it as well! I hope this will be sorted out
very soon.

A downloadable version of cocoon is the release candidate 2:

http://xml.apache.org/dist/cocoon2/cocoon-2.0rc2.zip or
http://xml.apache.org/dist/cocoon2/cocoon-2.0rc2.tar.gz.

Now, the only thing missing is a description....

Cheers,
Carsten