Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sg <ge...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/10 08:08:53 UTC

how to upgrade 3.1.7 to higer version

Hi

    Now I using SA 3.1.7. How to update the higher versions. Please help me.

--
Sg

Re: how to upgrade 3.1.7 to higer version

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Robert - eLists wrote:

>     Now I using SA 3.1.7. How to update the higher versions. Please
> help me.
> --
> Sg
>

> Hi Sg,
>

> Ummmmm if you are using CentOS just do this

Sg uses SA on windows, not CentOS, or any other Linux.

In any event, If you're installing from the source (.zip or tarball),
you can just download the new one and go through the install process. SA
will very nicely install over top of itself.

As Robert suggested, it's always a good idea to back up your
/etc/mail/spamassassin, or whatever the equivalent is for your system,
but the install process shouldn't change anything here, other than to
add v320.pre for  the new plugins.

It is also a good idea to read the UPGRADE file, as this is where the
developers leave notes about significant changes between versions. In
3.2.x there's not a whole lot changed from a general configuration
perspective, but it is still a good idea to read the relevant parts
UPGRADE file before upgrading.

UPGRADE will come with the source, but you can also read it at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.2/UPGRADE

RE: how to upgrade 3.1.7 to higer version

Posted by Robert - eLists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

    Now I using SA 3.1.7. How to update the higher versions. Please help me.
--
Sg

Hi Sg,

Ummmmm if you are using CentOS just do this

Backup your /etc/mail/spamassassin directory and all of it's file contents,
mainly for safety and good admin work protection

Then if you have not setup your rpm workspace in your main non root account
do this

cd

mkdir -m 755 rpm

cd rpm

mkdir -m 755 BUILD RPMS SOURCES SPECS SRPMS

then go back to your home directory and create a file called .rpmmacros

mine looks something like this for the rtst shell account

%_topdir /home/rtst/rpm

%packager RTst <rt...@ourdomain.net>

Then goto your rpm directory and then get the sources

cd

cd rpm

wget
http://apache.oregonstate.edu/spamassassin/source/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.3.ta
r.gz

then

rpmbuild -tb Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.3.tar.gz

then (as the super user) goto the RPMS/i386 directory and install

rpm -Uvh perl-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.3-1.i386.rpm
spamassassin-3.2.3-1.i386.rpm

and when done make sure to update with

sa-update -D

or if another distro or need other hints check out this page for other info

http://spamassassin.apache.org/downloads.cgi?update=200708092033

have a good night

 - rh