Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Valery Fongang <fo...@pertechtual.com> on 2013/04/03 12:14:39 UTC

VLAN traffic not seen by System Router

Hi,

I have the following setup:

- 1 Physical Host with single NIC on Centos 6.3+KVM
- 1 Virtual Cloud Management Server on a separate Physical Host from my KVM Host
- All 2 Physical servers plug into the same switch a NETGEAR GS748T
- My KVM host is connected on Port 1 where I have untagged VLAN trunk.
- My guest network VLAN range is set to 200-300.
- System VMs and Instances can be created with no issue. The Centos Template has been downloaded and I am able to spin VMs with it.

THE ISSUE:

- My system routers are not able to communicate over their public IPs.
- I am not able to ping my system Router Public IP from a guest VM however I am able to ping all the system VMs from guest VMs.
- My guest VMs are unable to reach the Internet.

With the NETGEAR switch I have I am not able to trunk a range of VLANs but I make sure I manually add any VLAN used by Cloudstack into the switch and add  port 1 where my host is connected to that VLAN.

I have played around with my traffic labels  and /etc/cloud/agent/agent.properties but I am still unable to get this working. Any idea how to get my guest VMs to access the public network.

Thanks,

Re: VLAN traffic not seen by System Router

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
Hi Valery,

Sounds like the public network isnt trunked properly to the kvm host. I
would spin up a vm from outside of cloudstacks control on the kvm host, and
tag its interface to communicate over the public vlan. if you can get that
to work successfully, you shouldnt have an issue inside the cloudstack
controlled kvm host. i dont have netgear experience but it sounds like you
can manage it... ensure you have your switchport set to have a native vlan
(your management network for the kvm host) as well as allow it to pass
tagged traffic (guest vlans and public vlan).

HTH

Posted by Valery Fongang <fo...@pertechtual.com>.
Hi,

>From my system Console VM I am not able to ping my public Network gateway. However if I leave the public VLAN untagged everything works well. I will change my switch and try having a tagged public VLAN to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

Well it's quite difficult to debug your issue.
I can tell only what helped me in such cases :

 1. Get the vnet interfaces from your VM (virsh dumpxml s-xx-VM)  2. Get bridge infos using brctl show  3. Log into the system VM from the hypervisor as root using ssh -i
    .ssh/id_rsa.cloud root@169.254.xx.xx -p 3922 ( The IP is the link
    local IP)
 4. Check each interface if you can ping gateways

Bye,
Bjoern

Posted by Bjoern Teipel <bj...@internetbrands.com>.