Posted to user@bloodhound.apache.org by Lars Ruoff <la...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/17 10:29:24 UTC

Starter questions concerning migration from Trac

Hi,

I've been using Trac (with SVN) some years ago on public hosters for some
of my personal web projects.
Now I'd like to revive some of them, hosted on my own servers.
I have heard of Bloodhound as a fork/successor of Trac and it seems
interesting.

Some questions:

One of the features advertised for Bloodhound is that it can host multiple
projects.
In what sense? Wasn't it possible to host multiple Trac sites on a same
server?
If not, what where the problems and how does Bloodhound solve them?
I would need to host multiple projects on the same server (ubuntu/apache2).
but my projects are completely isolated from each other. They should have
different source repositories (even different types, such as SVN and Hg),
tickets and Wiki.
It should be easy to backup the projects independently from each other. So
ideally, everything concerning a single project should reside under a same
file system path.
How does Bloodhound handle it?
Do i need to keep attention to specific things during installation for this?

How is access handled?
I'd like to have different users on the projects, with some being limited
to one project, others be able to work on multiple projects.

I have backups of the old Trac files (version probably <0.11).
How do i upgrade/import to Bloodhound?

Regards,
Lars R.

Re: Starter questions concerning migration from Trac

Posted by Lars Ruoff <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olemis,
thanks a lot so far.
I will continue my research on this topic.

Br,
Lars

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 5/17/14, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/14, Lars Ruoff <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> Some of the reasons are described in BEP-3 , notably the data of
> multiple projects (a.k.a. products) is stored in a single DB .

[...]

I did not include a link to access BEP-3 document , sorry .

https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/Proposals/BEP-0003

Olemis - @olemislc

Apache(tm) Bloodhound contributor
http://issues.apache.org/bloodhound
http://blood-hound.net

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: Starter questions concerning migration from Trac

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 5/17/14, Lars Ruoff <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Lars !

Welcome to Bloodhound mailing list
:)

[...]
> Some questions:
>
> One of the features advertised for Bloodhound is that it can host multiple
> projects.
> In what sense? Wasn't it possible to host multiple Trac sites on a same
> server?

Yes . In Trac you'd often define multiple environments (i.e. folders)
for each project whereas in Bloodhound you may define a single
environment containing multiple "products" to manage your projects .
Of course you also could define multiple environments (as before with
Trac) each having multiple products (mapped onto your projects) . It's
up to you to choose your particular configuration .

> If not, what where the problems and how does Bloodhound solve them?

Some of the reasons are described in BEP-3 , notably the data of
multiple projects (a.k.a. products) is stored in a single DB .

> I would need to host multiple projects on the same server (ubuntu/apache2).
> but my projects are completely isolated from each other. They should have
> different source repositories (even different types, such as SVN and Hg),
> tickets and Wiki.

> It should be easy to backup the projects independently from each other. So
> ideally, everything concerning a single project should reside under a same
> file system path.
> How does Bloodhound handle it?

This is a big question . For low level technical details please
consult BEP-3 [1]_ and if you have more doubts do not hesitate to ask
.

[...]
> How is access handled?
> I'd like to have different users on the projects, with some being limited
> to one project, others be able to work on multiple projects.

Bloodhound offers the whole set of trac-admin commands available in
Trac but for products . This means that the following Trac command

trac-admin permission add user ACTION

... becomes ...

trac-admin product admin PRODUCT_ID permission add user ACTION

> I have backups of the old Trac files (version probably <0.11).
> How do i upgrade/import to Bloodhound?

I'll leave this question open because maybe others have an accurate
answer for it . What we did (once upon a time ...) was to run an
script pulling fro Trac env(s) and writing into BH product(s) via
XML-RPC .

HTH

[...]

Fwd: Starter questions concerning migration from Trac