Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chuck Reynolds <cr...@ancestry.com> on 2018/09/19 20:28:37 UTC

Question: Rule-based Replica Placement

I have a use case where I need to create a Solr 6.6 cluster in AWS.  The collection will have a replication factor of 3 and needs to be in 3 different Availability Zones.

I’ve read the documentation on Rule-based Replica Placement but it doesn’t seem to be very clear how I would tag servers so at collection creation time the replication would be divided into the 3 Availability Zones.

The documentation mentions a snitch class called EC2Snitch “snitch=class:EC2Snitch”.  Is this snitch aware of where the servers are and will Automatically place the replicas a cross the 3 Zones?

I have 90 servers, 30 in each Zone with a replication factor of three. How can I force Solr to create the replicas in the 3 zones?

Is it rule=replica:1,host:*-az1&rule=replica:2,host:*-az2&rule=replica:3,host:*-az3

Thanks for the help.