Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by "Varnau, Steve (Trafodion)" <st...@hp.com> on 2015/05/27 21:09:52 UTC

Migrating code to Apache git -- multiple repos

Mentors,

I'm looking for some guidance on source code set-up.

We currently use several git repos for trafodion  (https://github.com/trafodion):
        trafodion/core - bulk of product code, tests, etc
        trafodion/dcs - product and test code for connectivity services
        trafodion/install - installation scripts
        trafodion/phoenix_test - test suite adapted from apache/phoenix customized to trafodion

Our initial incubation repo set up is at: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-trafodion.git

Assuming the trafodion/core history will go into incubator-trafodion, do we also need additional repos?
Perhaps:
incubator-trafodion-dcs
incubator-trafodion-install
incubator-trafodion-test

-Steve

Re: Migrating code to Apache git -- multiple repos

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Chen, Alice (Trafodion) <alice.chen@hp.com
>> Also do we need to do anything to document that the code has been pushed
>> from GitHub to the ASF Git repository?
>>

> Not that I know of (Roman?)

Makes two of us.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Migrating code to Apache git -- multiple repos

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Chen, Alice (Trafodion) <alice.chen@hp.com
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> With Steve's help I've pushed our code to the ASF Git repository.

Hurray!

> We would like GitHub hooks to be set up and Steve has file
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9852 for this.  Since it
> looks like GitHub will be sending lots of emails we thought it would be
> better to have all those messages mirrored to another mailing list
> codereview@trafodion.incubator.org .  Could someone please request this
> mailing list for us?

I tried. Seems to be an issue. Added notes to INFRA-9852.

> Also do we need to do anything to document that the code has been pushed
> from GitHub to the ASF Git repository?

Not that I know of (Roman?)

> I've also updated https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9701 with
> instructions on how to import our LaunchPad Bugs/Blueprints.

Sweet.
St.Ack

Posted by "Varnau, Steve (Trafodion)" <st...@hp.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by "Birdsall, Dave" <da...@hp.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Thats good news Kevin (can't think of what else -- you seem to have it well
covered).

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Thanks Kevin

Posted by "Deyager, Kevin" <ke...@hp.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> Thanks Steve. Looking at src, it all has Apache license stamped on it
> already. Thats good. We'll just flip copyright from hp to Apache after the
> grant is worked out (You might want to try Apache Rat --
> http://creadur.apache.org/rat/ -- on it to see what files it turns up as
> absent the Apache license).

As a matter of fact -- integrating RAT into your build would be a great
way to make sure that whoever reviews your first release has an easy
time doing that. That plus it is also a great way to keep inadvertent
commits that may upset RAT out.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Migrating code to Apache git -- multiple repos

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Varnau, Steve (Trafodion) <
steve.varnau@hp.com> wrote:

> https://wiki.trafodion.org/wiki/index.php/Building_the_Software

Thanks Steve. Looking at src, it all has Apache license stamped on it
already. Thats good. We'll just flip copyright from hp to Apache after the
grant is worked out (You might want to try Apache Rat --
http://creadur.apache.org/rat/ -- on it to see what files it turns up as
absent the Apache license).

Is there any work that could be done now ahead of the grant going through?
Will there be a script at top level to build all Steve or will it be a
module by module?  Looking at the merged repo, it looks like it could get
stuff like LICENSE and NOTICE at the top level (
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html) Can work be done on undoing
the LGPL dependencies meantime?

Thanks,
St.Ack

Posted by "Varnau, Steve (Trafodion)" <st...@hp.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
HPers!

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "Varnau, Steve (Trafodion)" <st...@hp.com>.

Posted by "Varnau, Steve (Trafodion)" <st...@hp.com>.

Posted by "Varnau, Steve (Trafodion)" <st...@hp.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
steve.varnau@hp.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I guess we can merge repos while retaining history. I just had not
> done so before.
>
> Is that the preferred route?

Generally one project, one repo, yeah.

> The mechanics for migrating the trafodion code is for a committer to push
> the current code into the newly created repo?  (When we are ready to pull
> that switch.)

I asked for a bare repo. We can go back to INFRA and ask if they can do an
import from current location preserving history. We can diagram how we want
the layout.

What is in the way of the import?

We could import with the LGPL log4cpp and unixodbc dependency for now and
then address replacing tout de suite. Ditto on move from proprietary
docbook to asciidoc.

I believe we need to do a software grant to Apache. See here:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-ip-clearance How you
folks going to assert you own the software? And then, how to grant it to
Apache?

Thanks,
St.Ack

Posted by "Varnau, Steve (Trafodion)" <st...@hp.com>.