Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> on 2022/08/12 16:19:52 UTC

Netbeans-WebSite Branches

I think I asked this previously but figured I'd start a separate
focused thread.

As I understand, the content which may get published to the apache site
resides in the "asf-site" branch (
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/tree/asf-site )

When reviewing this I noticed the following:

"This branch is 933 commits ahead
<https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/compare/master...asf-site>, 1575
commits behind
<https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/compare/asf-site...master>
 master."

Why is there a difference in commits here?  In other words, are there a lot
of updates made specific for the asf-site branch not making it into master
and/or a lot of updates on master not making it into the "asf-site" branch
for eventual inclusion on the published site?

Should many of the commits on master be merged into asf-site or visa-versa?

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Netbeans-WebSite Branches

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 at 21:39, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 at 18:21, Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm still a little confused though...why is the asf-site so far behind in
> > some ways and/or ahead in others?
>
> It is neither - they're just two unrelated histories.  Your question
> doesn't really make sense.  The asf-site branch is the built output.
> It's like asking why source Java files differ from JAR class files.
> Every commit in asf-site is "Automated site publishing by Jenkins
> build XXX".

PS. "unrelated" might be the wrong word.  Generally a commit to master
triggers a build which gets pushed into asf-site.  The content and git
history of the two branches is therefore completely different.

Re: Netbeans-WebSite Branches

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 at 18:21, Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm still a little confused though...why is the asf-site so far behind in
> some ways and/or ahead in others?

It is neither - they're just two unrelated histories.  Your question
doesn't really make sense.  The asf-site branch is the built output.
It's like asking why source Java files differ from JAR class files.
Every commit in asf-site is "Automated site publishing by Jenkins
build XXX".

It's built by https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Netbeans/job/netbeans-website/

Neil

Re: Netbeans-WebSite Branches

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
I'm still a little confused though...why is the asf-site so far behind in
some ways and/or ahead in others?

Assume the "ahead" may have to do with "generated files" that by nature may
not get saved and accounts for some differences.

If master has all the latest and greatest website changes, then the site
build (where does that happen by the way?) and gets generated (i.e. html
pages based on ascii doc for example not necessarily saved in
apache/netbeans-website), why doesn't it include same changes?

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.